Reasonable price for a Rolleicord V that needs a shutter overhaul and CLA?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mtngael, Dec 13, 2011.

1. mtngael

mtngael Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This may be a subjective question, but I have the opportunity to pick up a Rolleicord V while I'm saving for my dream Rollei. The seller is asking $250 but the camera has an intermittent shutter speed problem. I'm assuming it needs to be overhauled (and probably a CLA for the whole thing) The glass is in excellent condition. I don't know tons about these, so I'm wondering if I should be negotiating or not, or if I should even just pass and wait for something else. I'm slightly hesitant since by the time I spend the money on the maintenance, a hood and filters, and replace the focusing screen (provided I decide that the stock one is indeed to dim for me) I'll have spent half the cost of a Rolleiflex 3.5E. But, at the same time, I've read that the 'Cord V is no slouch. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  2. gtyler5

gtyler5 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the price is a little high. If you really want a Rolleiflex, save your money and get a Rolleiflex. True the 'cords are great little cameras but you will still be wishing and comparing it to what you really want.

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it's a bit expensive too. Although my Rolleicord V was ridiculously cheap at £34 in full working condition!

Steve.

4. btaylor

btaylor Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think $250 is too much. Don't the later 'cords sell for $150-250 fully working? The last Rollei CLA cost me about $135, add that to $250 for a camera you don't intend to keep... seems a bit steep. Spend a little money on a working Rolleicord and save for your 3.5E. Or just keep the 'cord. You would be very hard pressed to see ANY difference in the pictures you take with either one. I have both, I can't see a difference in the pictures. In fact the Rolleicord is lighter, and it's the one I usually grab first.

5. mtngael

mtngael Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. My gut told me that it was too high but I wasn't trusting it! Maybe I'll see if I can dicker enough to make it worth it. I wouldn't mind having an eventual spare if the price was right.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would not buy a broken camera unless I was planning to fix it myself.

7. BobD

BobD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    $250 is way high if it's not fully working.

8. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed. A fully working 'cord V should not cost more than that and I wouldn't pay more than $150 for a non-fully working 'cord V. Even that might be a bit much.

9. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a 'Flex 2.8D for less than that. It likely needs shutter repair, so consider it to be in the same condition as the 'Cord you're looking at.

The deals are out there, but that ain't one of them.

Good luck!

10. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    every Flex is more comfortable to use than a Cord because of the crank and the self cocking shutter. In the 3,5 E you already have a 5-lens Planar or Xenotar and the interchangeable Rollei bright screen whereas the Cord has a dim glas screen. The price is too high.

11. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    True but the wind on and separate shutter cocking of the Rolleicord is hardly inconvenient. Less to go wrong too!

Steve.

12. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    AMEN. I used a Rolleicord Vb for more years that I'd like to admit. I didn't often have "Rolleiflex envy". I've never felt inconvenineced by the knob, or the manual cocking, or the screen brightness... nor the Xenar lens. Some of my best photography was done with a 'cord.

13. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Although easier said than done: patience. Through the years, keeping an eye out, and pouncing when found I've discovered Rolleiflexes for $150-200. Good ones too. 3.5E3 Xenotar and 2.8E Planar. $250 for that 'cord, even a V, is way too much. Heck, there was a really nice III here on this site for $135 not too long ago.

14. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds a little to high me also, check out KEH,

Jeff

15. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    zack's camera repair ( apug advertiser he has a block ad )
    overhauled my rolleicord 1a/3 and it runs like new
    email and ask how much he charges for a complete overhaul
    and deduct that from a "working" model's price .. and offer
    the seller that price ...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  16. phelger

phelger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently bought a Rolleicord Vb on ebay and paid 200euros (150$, way too much!) - it turned out to badly need repair which cost me another 300€, so now I probably have one of the most expensive 'Cords in Europe! But it takes beautiful pictures - and I don't think I would be better off with a 'Flex (except of course if it were a 2.8 ).
    Peter

17. Dr.Pain-MD

Dr.Pain-MD Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I chose my 'cord over the 'flex for exactly that reason actually, I like the knob wind more than the crank (plus it is easier to fix and there is less to go wrong there mechanically). My 'cord is a model III and I can do multiple exposures with it which is a great bonus too! I have also replaced my focusing screen just last week with a Rick Oleson screen and the camera is just about perfect. My Xenar is needle sharp and I have no desire for a Planar or Xenotar really.

18. Greg Heath

Greg Heath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Save your money for what you really want. Remember you are not buying a camera, you are buying a "system".

19. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too much. I agree with the other poster; wait for your Rolleiflex. OTOH, if you have money to burn; don't think it twice; but the 'cord: work on it AND get your Rolleiflex. I have both. My pics are as good with one as the other.