Recent Experiences with cameraleather.com ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by BradleyK, Nov 6, 2013.

1. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Given that one of the F2 bodies that I recently picked up is in need of a recovering, I am curious as to the options available. cameraleather.com seems to have the widest selection of coverings available, but checking in on one of the threads here, I noticed some rumblings of discontent with the company.

That said, the company's site has been completely redone, leading me to wonder if there has been changes to its operation - more staff? a new owner? additional equipment? Has anyone here dealt with the company in the recent past? Say within the last several months? Thoughts or comments on the service/quality of product/wait times?

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi bradleyK
    you might consider emailing him and finding out what his
    turn around time is. my guess is the "stuff" which was keeping him
    away from his camera leather business might have cleared up and his
    turn around time is faster than before, but i could be wrong ...

john

3. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still waiting after 2 years. Took my money and said thanks, after that nothing. Will not respond to me in anyway. Lots of similar stories like that out there. Also website has not changed substantially in recent years. All I can say is: Beware!

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They got a warning this year about exotic/reptile leathers. Worth reading.
    (I hought those leather came from farms and thus would not be a problem.)

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I will make clear at the outset is that I have never had any dealings with Camera Leather.

I recently needed to re-cover a Canon SIIb. Camera Leather's price for the covering was $48, and they offered the service of re-covering at $75 - the total without shipping would have been $38 more than the camera cost me. Looking at their pictures of re-covered Leica screwmounts and screwmount copies, the replacement covering seemed too thick in places, standing proud of the metal trim, and had gaps.
    I elected to cut my own leather and install it myself.

6. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Look around for that Japanese guy, he gets all my business now.

7. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    127 Format
  8. jscott

jscott Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FWIW I had a good recent experience (Sept 2013) with cameraleather.com for a new covering for my Leica iii. Good communication, fast shipping, good products.

9. karl

karl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stay away.

10. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Still waiting for an order placed and paid for a year ago last spring. Several reminders, no response. Prior to that I had a few successful, albeit slow, transactions with him, and the quality was good. Communication has never been his strong suit. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

11. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cannot recommend Aki Asahi enough. Nothing but great experiences with him on three orders.

12. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks to all who responded. While cameraleather.com has a wider range of offerings, past practices argue for caution. That said, aki-asahi will get the nod. So...a nice blue F2 is in the future (possibly an F3HP/MD4 as well...although bright red is also a possibility...).

13. dae

dae Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Morgan Sparks, Cameraleather.com

I ordered leather for my Contax RTS II and paid via PayPal on Oct. 27th. On Nov. 10th, having heard nothing I emailed to get a status report. Morgan replied on the 11th. that it would take 15 days to ship but would send me shipping date next day. Nothing. On Dec. 16th. I asked again. On Dec 17th. I asked for a reply. Nothing. I have just sent an email asking (woefully) for my money back. Is this guy or his company dead? Any info on this or have I just been suckered?

14. Rolfe Tessem

Rolfe Tessem Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Experiences seem to vary, but I've had good experience with Morgan and Cameraleather.com. I've received numerous coverings and even sent him my M3 to recover because I didn't feel up to removing the vulcanite. All handled in a timely manner, although I understand that others have had less satisfactory outcomes.

I've also used Aki Asahi and his turnaround is phenomenal, but a very limited selection of surfaces. In fact, the one he used to offer which I like the best (for Leicas) is no longer offered.

15. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just got a very nice email from Morgan at Cameraleather.com that my order has shipped out, after two years. He was very kind. I had been trying with no success to reach him for some time. I'm very happy he came through. I hope he gets that side of his business smoothed out. I've always been pleased with the quality of his kits.

16. Canuck

Canuck Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ordered the leathers from cameraleathers.com and got it promptly. Due to my lack of info (wrong body model on my new to me then Hasselblad), I had to re-order but the order arrived quickly also. This has been my only transaction but it was a very good transaction FWIW.

17. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Although I haven't ordered from him in a couple of years, I have made numerous purchases from Cameraleather in the past with no problems. His material and selection is first rate. Mistakes and mishaps can happen, especially with a small company with limited resources. Unfortunately, most of the time you only hear about the few negatives.

18. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friend reports a recent (6 weeks ago) transaction which was good in all respects - so maybe the tide is coming in for Cameraleather ?

19. Chrismat

Chrismat Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had nothing but good experiences with cameraleather.com. Service is faster if I order a piece of material and cut it myself, but even custom pieces usually take around two weeks.