Recessed lens board Nagaoka?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by duparis00, May 21, 2014.

1. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a new lens for my Nagaoka 4x5, a 90mm caltar. If I want movement with the lens would I need to find a recessed lens board or can I still get movement with a regular board? I haven't been able to find a nagaoka recessed board online but there's a camera show this weekend so I'm hoping to try my luck there. If I can't find a Nagaoka board which is 92 x 92mm would it be possible I buy a Linhoff and sand or cut down the edges?

2. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It may be possible to modify a Linhof/Wista lens board to suit - I have a Shen Hao in front of me which measures a nominal 96x99mm, which is very similar to the Technica 5x4 listed here: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-boards/technika - The recessed "tub" measures 83.7mm Dia and has a 1mm thick "lip" 87.6mm Dia to form the light trap.

As long as the front stand on your Nogaoka has a hole of ~84mm and a slight recess of ~88mm Dia, it might be possible to file a Linhof type board down to fit. Most of these boards are made from a die-cast aluminium alloy so should be fairly easy to file down (wouldn't bother with sandpaper).

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You shouldn't need a recessed board for a 90mm on a Nagaoka and you could easily make a lens board from wood or aluminium. I do this all the time for various cameras.

If you want a recessed board then I'd look for a Cambo, Sinar or similar flat aluminium recessed board and cut it down to size. I did this a few years ago for my Wista.

Ian

4. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What Ian said. I've seen a few variations of the 4x5 Nagaoka, and none of them needs a recessed board to allow movements with a 90.

5. duparis00

duparis00 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome, thanks for info Paul!

I think I'm going to pick up a regular lens board first, as the other guys suggested and see if that works out. But definitely good to have your this info as well just in case.