Recommend a Developer w/ Long (3 wks) Working Solution Lifetime

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Andre Noble, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,

I have an 8x10 Nova slot processor (each slot 1 liter) that I'd like to keep full of a working solution of B&W developer to process a few sheets a day of 4x5 B&W sheet film over Christmas vacation.

I have already HC 110, Rodinol and a couple of types of Ilford and Kodak powder developers (ID11, D76, Microdol-X).

Which of these (feel free to recommend other - although I tried Diafine once - not too keen on it) that will keep for a long time (3 weeks) in working strength and still be reliable?

Thanks in advance.

2. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like TMax; not as 'syrupy' as HC 110, pours well and mixes easily, not much different than mixing D76 1:1, just a different ratio. Doesn't matter what developer you use; there is going to be progressive oxidation and loss of energy, from my experience. Find one that mixes easily and quickly (DDX is another) and mix fresh.

3. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think you're right FRED, I should just mix it (the HC 110) up fresh.

4. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    D-76 should work.

5. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used D76 for years (not the same batch) in deep tanks with floating lids. The slot processor would just be a smaller volume than the five litre tanks in the lab. There was a replenisher used in those days and with a high volume of film the tanks got refilled only a couple of times a year, but replacing a small amount of dev every few sheets would work reasonably well as an imprecise alternative to lengthening the dev time. Remember that four sheets of 4x5 is the same-ish area as a 135 or 120 roll, for time adjustments. An alternative would be using a slosher in trays, but there is more setup and breakdown time involved then.

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With the floating lids, D-76 should be fine. If you're worried, you might consider augmenting the floating lid with some cling wrap over the top. As Martin states, you will need to pay attention to how much film you've run through that liter and replenish as you go along.

7. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They say Harvey's (or whosever name you want to put on it) 777 lasts quite awhile.
    Too bad you didn't like Diafine. TX is great in it.
    Perhaps a dev with glycin in it would fit the bill. Hubl paste from FDC comes to mind.
    And then there's the pyro soup that I'll look up tomorrow for you.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    XTOL, XTOL diluted, and XTOL replenished

9. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try reading through the "sticky" thread on Ansco 130: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5999-ansco-130-a.html

Solution in a Developing tray is quite long and some have used it for film with good results.

10. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ---------^