Recommend and enlarger for 6x7, 6x6, & 35

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by jmooney, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jmooney

jmooney Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi All,

I'm getting ready to get my bathroom darkroom rolling and need an enlarger. It has to do 6x7, 6x6, and 35 and not be hernia inducing when moved.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Jim

2. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beseler 23, as they are fine quality, fairly small and light, extremely common, and dirt cheap if not free. If you find something better down the road, go for it and ditch the Beseler, but it will certainly get you started quickly and cheaply.

3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening, Jim,

The Beseler 23 will actually take you to 6 x 9. Carriers and boards are easily available.

Long term, given the extremely low prices of used enlargers these days, going directly to a 4 x 5 enlarger makes even more sense, unless space is an absolutely critical factor. There are lots of previous threads and posts on this topic; it should be easy to get a variety of suggestions and opinions.

Konical

4. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd agree with the 23C suggestion. It's funny, after playing with my Elwood 5x7 and 8x10 enlargers at home, when I print at school, the 23's almost look cute, tiny in fact.

erie

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW, I am close to that one advertised here in L.A. in the APUG classifieds. I have already told the seller that I am interested, but if you decide it is worth your while to pay to have it shipped, I will take care of the process for you, since I already have an enlarger, and this would just be for solarization and flashing for me (and I also want the timer, and all the neg. carriers are a big plus). However, I would venture to guess that there will be a similar deal in your neck of the woods without too much waiting.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    23C isn't really a compact or light enlarger. Many have used it for bathroom setups but the 67C or Omega 760 is more compact.
    In either case neither is heavy but if you're manhandling it the 67C or 760 would be less bulky to work through a door or set up on a sink etc.

8. JRJacobs

JRJacobs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my LPL/Saunders 7700MX - I'm even able to print 6x9 with an adapted universal neg mask. Head rotates for extra large printing (not that I've needed to just yet). Colour head, Rodenstock lenses (50mm & 105mm) and it's perfect. Cost me $695 for the enlarger, but I've since since seen them in Australia for as little as $350.

10. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    oz, i won't sleep now, you have to tell me--just how? are you talking about the 6x7 "universal glass carrier"?

:cool:

jim, yes, LPL 6700 highly recommended (i think they must be called something else in every country they're distributed in). perfect for the setting you describe. colour head very handy for variable contrast paper

11. raizans

raizans Member

12. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about.
    I had to buy a 2nd one, but once purchased, removed the blades carefully and it fits my 6x9 negs perfectly!
    Now I can print all of my film cameras (until I finally get a lovely 5x4 that is :D )

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Highly recommended by me too.

Mine is labelled LPL/Saunders 6700. I just wish it would do 6x9 from my Zeiss folder.

I made my own negative holders for mine and I think I could just about go to 6x8.

Steve.

14. Vilk

Vilk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oz, thanks a million! Steve, thank you, too.

I knew the 6700 was a great tool--apparently, I had no idea how great.

Hey, Vilk--on to 6x9!

:D

15. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Steve.
    If you can dismantle the 6x7 universal carrier (take off the blades) you've got yourself a 6x9 carrier! That's what I did to print from my Junior 6x9 folder - works a treat!!

Nanette