Recommendation for a 50mm screw mount lens

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Mark Fisher, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just received a beautiful Canon P and I'd like to get a reasonably fast 50 for it. I have a Russian 50mm f2.8 that is a wonderful lens, but a bit slow for my taste. I have a Russian f2.0 (Jupiter 8) that is a bit off (plus no click stops). I could send it to someplace like Fedka to get it overhauled. The other alternative I've considered is an f1.8 Canon or an f1.5 Canon/Serenar. Any advice out there?

Thanks -- Mark

2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You could get a f/2.0 50mm Leica Summitar for roughly the same as a Canon lens.

And there are the various lenses from Cosina that were made for its Voigtlander LTM cameras.

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love my J-8 now that it's CLA'd by fedka. They only took around a week too, and it's smooth and the focus is spot on

4. mablo

mablo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Summitar is a fine lens - but you will be hard pressed to find one in good nick. My recommendation is to get a nice Canon RF 50mm/1.8. It's a very good lens. My favourite lens with my Canon P definitely. You'll find one for $150 from the usual sources. Even better (but also much larger and heavier) would be the Canon RF 50mm/1.4 but don't expect to find a good one under $400

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Personally I'd wait for a Canon lens and not rush, they appear here in the classifieds here fairly regularly at reasonably prices in excellent condition.

Seems a shame not to get a lens ir would have originally sold with.

Ian

6. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you want a modern lens, the Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 ASPH is VERY good even wide open.

[​IMG]

7. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For what it's worth, I've had a couple of Summitars, and a couple of Jupiter-8s and I'm not 100% sure that the Summitars were really much better than the J-8s. I currently have a new old stock J8 [bought unused in the original case] and a good condition coated Summitar, and I suspect you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference except the out of focus areas [bokeh, whatever] are nicer on the J-8 wide-open. The Summitar has pretty wild swirly out of focus areas, whereas the J-8 is smoother, and much less distracting. The former is interesting as an effect, but the J-8 is probably the more consistently useful lens.

The Summitar is a very pretty looking lens, though, compared to the black J-8!

Matt

8. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I second the Canon 50/1.8 - it\'s an excellent lens (as is the 1.4) I would watch for haze/fogging - most of the examples I\'ve come across have needed cleaning to be useable.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shot indoor sports with the Canon 50mm f/1.4 from a Canon 7 for years until Kodak produced T-Max 3200. Then I could use a Summicron. That combination of film and lens was far superior to the Canon. Images were grainer, but much sharper, and one stop higher shutter speed was practical.

10. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use all Nikon lenses on my Canon VI.

12. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm going to try to hold out for a canon 1.8 in good condition. I think I'll also get the Jupiter adjusted by Fedka. I love the 50mm perspective so why not two?

Thanks all -- Mark

13. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikkor 50/1.4 in LTM. Classic. Unique. Built to last. Forever. Equally at home on a Canon or M5.

14. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi

As well as the CV f/1.5 there is the CV f/2.5, contrasty and small, but lots of people like the lower contrast Canon lenses, or the Sonnar (style) signature.

Noel