Recommendations for a medium format travel camera

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by lhuhn, Dec 10, 2013.

1. lhuhn

lhuhn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am fortunate to be planning a trip to France for next September. I will take a small digital camera (Fuji x20) for street photography but I also want to take a film camera. Taking my 4x5 is not an option given our itinerary but I think one of the folding medium format cameras such as a Fuji GF670 would work fine. Any suggestions? I was also looking at the Plaubel Makina W67 but the added cost is a factor. Thanks!

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad - you will wonder why you waited so long.

3. SWphoto

SWphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji GA645Zi Convenient size, fantastic lens.

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the Fuji GF670 is a terrific choice.

5. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad if you want to use more than one lens or will shoot both B&W and Color. For a one lens camera, Rolleiflex.

6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And if you're not filthy-rich, a Minolta Autocord, Yashicamat or Mamiya C220. The latter is a bit bigger but has interchangeable lenses. Lots of good 645 SLRs are pretty portable too and might suit your shooting better than a TLR.

If you really are filthy-rich, the ultimate portable+quality MF travel camera is probably the Mamiya 7.

Personally I take my RZ67 with me on big trips. I can fit a good 3-lens system in my backpack with a bunch of film and don't need to compromise on quality when I'm in the places where I'm likely to get my best shots.

7. ww12345

ww12345 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hasselblad. Changeable film backs and not heavy at all (only about as heavy as a Rollei)...

8. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Agreed, can't go wrong.

If you prefer a ground glass style camera, then a Rolleiflex is hard to beat. I went from Hasselblad to Rolleiflex, happy I did.

9. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a Fuji GW680III rangefinder - and it's fast, SHARP, and rugged. There are many in that family and they are not expensive.

Marc!

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Always depends on your shooting style. Some people like a TLR as a travel camera. Others like a rangefinder, such as the Bronica 6x4.5 model.

Others like an SLR-style camera like a Hasselblad, Mamiya 6x4.5 or Bronica SQ.

And others like the press-style camera.

So, it really depends. I would say that you should figure out how you like to shoot and also decide how much you want to spend. Both very much are factors.

11. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Mamiya 6

12. analoguey

analoguey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wasnt there another thread just like this a couple of weeks back? Might still be active.

Sent from Tap-a-talk

13. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lots of info here already on the forum, I've found that the search function works quite well :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Plaubel 67, with either the 80mm or 50mm lens (the W version). Folds very flat, good meter, very quiet leaf shutter. Works for me.

16. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have Fuji GF670 and no Plaubel 67, but i have hassy and Mamiya 7 and GSW690iii and RZ and recently RB, out of those all the only cameras i will carry for sure are Mamiya 7 and GSW690iii and never look back, my Mamiya 7 is not working but it will be my first choice even if i have GF670 or Plaubel, and i carry GSW690 because this format is large and sharp and it is always blowing away my mind with its quality with any film i through in, B&W or color.

17. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    For medium format I use my Bronica SQ-B. A good and inexpensive camera.

For traveling light I take my Bronica RF645. Easy to handle, rather compact and light. Has a very good build-in light meter. And the glass is excellent!!
    And did I mention the excellent rangefinder on this camera?

18. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Mamiya 6 or 7 if you want interchangeable lenses and a very small kit. I love my Hasselblad too, but it's bulkier and requires a tripod more often.

Agfa Super Issolette (or Ansco Super Speedex is the same) if you can live with a single normal lens. These fold up nice and small and take excellent pictures with a look that is more classic than modern.

19. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you have a budget for this purchase? Do you want super portability, flexibility, reliability or...?
    Best regards

20. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you don't have to be super-rich to own a Rolleiflex. For the money that a Fuji GF670 costs, you can get a nice Rollei 2.8F or maybe even a GX. If you don't have to have an internal meter, for less than half the price of a GF you can get a 2.8E (the reason I say no internal meter on the E is that the E is now 50+ years old and most of the meters in the E models are somewhere between less than fully accurate and flat-out dead). But the big question is your shooting style - do you think in rectangular composition, or are you comfortable with square? what about viewing style? are you comfortable with waist-level viewing or do you have to have the camera at eye level all the time? do you compose tight or loose? Answer these questions first and you'll be much further along in your decision-making.

21. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm a huge fan of the 6x4.5 Fuji's for handheld travel cameras. Load it up with the 400 speed film of your choice and have fun. If I had the money, I'd do the Mamiya 7, but I'm not sure that the quality would be any higher except for the bigger neg.

22. gleaf

gleaf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Traveled the world in my Navy career with a Nikon Ftn a Nikonos 2 and a Rollie T collected along the way. First it must be comfortable in your hands and operate logically for you with control placements. My father had Kodak folders with prism finders. TLR was not a big jump to something I was not used to. Weight is always a personal issue. It must be handy while operating not a burden. My Nikon F was always too heavy for my wife to be happy shooting it and she loves her Nikon DSLR. Then there is the square format vs the rectangular. Shooting 'square' you have to remember there are both a vertical and/or a horizontal print format most likely to follow. And then there is the "I just want to try that" adventure. No right, no wrong, just learning. Go for it with what is available in your price range.

23. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've traveled with several differnt types of MF cameras (TLR, vintage folder, SLR, and press) and found my best results to be with a Rolleicord and Weston III meter. Simple, affordable, and lightweight. Other options will work but for me this was the most convenient. The most difficult was a press camera... mostly because of the bulk. With all of them I bring a monopod!

24. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    +1

25. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tend to favour a rangefinder for travel these days, especially if travel is the primary objective, not photography. GS645s or Mamiya 6 work well. The little Fuji is very light, and the 6x4.5 format is good enough. The M6 does offer a choice of lenses, but sticking to the standard 75mm means you can hang it under a jacket easily.

I've used a YashicaMat for travel, especially where I will have a little more time. I also find the 'box' packs well as a backup camera.

If photography is not the primary reason for the trip, just pick something that you can carry easily if you do not have a secure storage location. If it is a chore carrying it, you won't want to use it.

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1