Recommended B&W Film Processing in UK?

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Fraxinus, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Fraxinus

Fraxinus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a colleague in Cambridge, UK, who has asked me to enquire about APUG members' experiences with black and white film/print processing services, as he has no access to a darkroom or any processing equipment at present.

He has a couple of rolls of black & white 35mm (not chromogenic) that he'd like reliably processed and at least competently printed to around postcard size. He's happy to send off by post, but obviously if anyone knows of any service local to Cambridge then that might be safer.

Any recommendations based on personal experiences?

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hopefully someone might know of such a service local to Cambridge but if not there are a few options. 1. He gets some simple neg processing equipment - worthwhile if he intends to do this regularly and finds a local mini-lab who can print reasonably onto RA4 paper. It is likely to have a slight colour cast
    2. He uses the Ilford B&W service. Better option but involves using Ilford film and a mailer.
    3. Have look in the B&W magasine. There are a number of B&W processors listed but none I could find in the Cambridge area.
    4. Finds a local camera club that still has darkroom facilities.

best of luck

pentaxuser

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think the Ilford service is restricted to Ilford film - try downloading the order form.

Not being in the UK, I can't use Ilford, but I find their service to be a fascinating addition to the marketplace.

Matt

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Quite right Matt. Sorry OP I was mixing it up with the pre-paid processing mailer that can be paid for when buying an Ilford film from stockists.

pentaxuser

5. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Buy a copy of Black & White Photography magazine and search the advertisements for processing and printing. They probably offer a good service.

6. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am based in Bedfordshire - but do look for help from Palm in Birmingham if swamped. Great service and will cover all processes in one go.
    Great service - never let me down.

Yes I do process my own - but twenty films up and more then - yes I ask for their help.

My opinion is - their consistency is better than my own with regard to large batches...

Thanks - MB

7. Fraxinus

Fraxinus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions., I'll pass them on.

8. Wishy

Wishy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Peak imaging can generally be relied upon to do a good job.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  10. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  11. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My info is a few years out of date, but it used to be possible for private individuals to get film processed and printed at various University departments around Cambridge. The Engineering department was one, and there used to be a central photo lab on the Downing site. A quick search of the university website turned up this lab:

http://www.pdn.cam.ac.uk/groups/avmg/avmgphotography.html

Otherwise, the members of the Cambridge Camera Club (cambcc.org.uk) can probably give up to date info. Campkins also used to employ generally helpful and knowledgeable staff.

I used to use Colour Quick in Regent's Street. Despite the name, and the cheap and cheerfull retail style, they had a very good traditional wet lab, and a custom printer who worked hard to get things right for reasonably cheap handmade enlargements. Again, I last used them a few years ago now, but it was for my wedding photos, and they did a great job.

That said, I have used Peak Imaging for many years now and they too do a good job. B+W prints are via digital printers onto colour paper though.