Recommended darkroom torch

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by thomsonrc, Jan 10, 2008.

1. thomsonrc

thomsonrc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi

I want to try lith printing and understand that a darkroom torch is very useful. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one? Cheers

Ritchie

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    fotoimpex.de was giving away some red LED keychain lights that are handy in the darkroom a while back as a promotional item. Maybe they sell them.

3. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recommend and use the RH Design safe torch Ritchie
    Look here ...
    http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/html/safetorch.html

I use them on all my Lith workshops and everyone wants one!
    Even if you don't do lith they are a must have item IMHO
    Tim

4. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll second that - I was tearing my hair out with lith, and the RH torch is a lifesaver!

5. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe it would be worth trying a backlight from a bicycle?
    /matti

6. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    In the US, Super Bright LEDs sells several LED flashlights ("torches" to you Brits :wink: ). I've got one of the tiny keychain "Beamer Micro Light" models from that page (in red, of course). I've never done lith printing, but I find it handy for checking the aperture of my enlarger lens, finding dropped pieces of paper, etc. I'm afraid I don't have a reference for a European distributor of similar flashlights, but there must be some place that sells them in Europe. If you're desperate, you could see if Super Bright LEDs ships internationally. Buying a small item like a small flashlight or bulb would probably not incur utterly ridiculous shipping charges, although for a small order the shipping cost would probably be more than the price of the products, even for domestic shipping.

7. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love my RH Designs Safe Torch

8. phritz phantom

phritz phantom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i just use a normal (military) torch with a red filter, i think the smaller maglites have those filters too. i don't know if this the exact color the paper requires, but i make sure to cover any photographic paper in the open with a piece of card.

9. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I use a small maglite with red filter in the darkroom. In the US, one can buy a kit which contains the light and filter. I like the maglite because I can hold it in my mouth and use both hands if needed.

10. El Gringo

El Gringo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've always used a normal torch and just held a spare safelight filter over the end of it for lith printing, it's a little awkward but I've found it works well enough for my needs.

11. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The small Maglites work fine. I used one for ages until the RH Designs one came out and I wouldn't go back now. The Maglite is a twist action and so needs 2 hands. It stays on until you twist it off. The RH is a 1 hand action click on/off. It goes off when you let go, which I find much more convenient. Also, it hangs around my neck all the time (in the darkroom!) so I never have to go looking for it. The maglite does have a wrist strap, which is useful as you don't drop it, but it will hang into the dev easily, so you can't really let go anyway.

12. mrtoml

mrtoml Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just got the RH one this morning for Lith printing. It looks very useful and compact and comes with neck strap. It was brighter than I expected. Going to try it later...

13. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I too find it just a little bright for my preference so I put a strip of sellotape magic tape across it. This just diffuses it very slightly and makes it perfect for me. Otherwise when used at close quarters I find the slight 'circle' pattern on the print distracting. The subtle diffusion gets rid of that.
    Tim

14. du a gwyn

du a gwyn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i'll also recommend the RH torch for lith printing,couldn't do with out it then that goes to say about all the RH stuff,'they do exactually what the say on the tin.'
    Tim Rudman,is there another way of paying for the new lith book of the web site,i don't want to put my card details over the net(can i phone you personally?)

15. bwakel

bwakel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The RH torch seems very expensive for what is essentially the rear light from the bicycle! As a keen cyclist I've always got two or three different LED rear lights of varying intensity and beam patterns. They work fine and cost a few pounds. You can easily attach a bit of string to most of them if you want to hang the light round your neck and they turn off with a single press mostly (though some go through a range of different flash patterns with each press).

Barry

16. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Of course. PM me & we'll discuss.
    Tim

17. thomsonrc

thomsonrc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies: RH designs it is then.

Ritchie.

18. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Small Maglite with red filter and a piece of paper masking tape over the filter.
    I also have a small Jobo light which is colour safe.

19. thomsonrc

thomsonrc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    magic tape

Is it Sellotape Magic Tape or Scotch Magic tape, I cant find the former? If it matters!

Cheers

Ritchie

20. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Umm. ?
    I'm away from UK at present and can't check. You could be right about Scotch I think
    Tim

21. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found, at an astronomy supplies for amateurs shop, an Orion Red Beam II Variable Brightness Astro Flashlight , which has two red leds and no filter, and a rheostat (?) to wind up the level from dim to fairly bright, all with one hand.

It has a lanyard to hang it around your neck, possibly just long enough at full extension to dip it into your tray-full of chemistry if you are careless! It uses one 9v battery of the common kind.

Made in (where else?) China.

I like it very much.

Regards - Ross

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2008
  22. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Online source for the Orion astronomy flashlight: http://www.telescope.com/control/ca...onid=8C3CA71F12FBC20CFAA6517494C1D629.ivprod1
    Rigel Starlite models (google for retailers) are similar.

scopestuff.com has a few choices under "red things" at their site: http://scopestuff.com/#Red Things

I'd recommend the torches/flashlights and replacement bulbs at http://superbrightleds.com/flashlights.htm as well. They are more reasonably priced than many other places.

BTW, you can easily and permanently diffuse an LED by roughing up its surface a bit with a fine synthetic abrasive pad. I do this so that it's easier to read star charts with red LEDs and more even illumination over a broader angle.

Lee