Recyling Ilford B&W containers to hold RA4 chems

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by hoffy, Apr 30, 2011.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Howdy,

I have just realised that 1L Ilford chemical containers will fit in my Jobo rotary processor slots. I have 3 empty ones, two that contained rapid fixer and one that contained Multigrade paper developer. The rapid fixer containers are a reasonably clean. The mulitgrade container is quite brown

Do I clean these out with bleach (they are now soaking), will this be sufficient to store my RA4 Chems? Do I run the risk of contamination?

Cheers

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Use the Ilford developer containers for anything but it's very hard to remove all traces of fixer even if they look clean so these are best used for Bleach/Fix. There can be insoluble deposits on th walls that are white so hard to spot :D

Bleach - sodium hypochlorite may help I often use a soak with spent dev to make sure if the containers had something else in. There are more effective ways of cleaning but with re-using dev for dev & fix for Fix/Bleach there's no need.

Ian