Red and Amber Darkroom lights

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by NDKodak, Aug 6, 2013.

1. NDKodak

NDKodak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is it true that if you have both a red light and a amber light on in your darkroom, the combination of both light sources will fog your print paper? Meaning you have to pick one or the other to use. I have a mixture of both in my cobbled together darkroom and to my knowledge it has not been a problem using both types of safety lights, but I may be mistaken(it would not be the first time).

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No, it's not the combination, but the amber may cause a problem.

3. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First let me say that no safelight is completely safe. They will all cause fog eventually. The choice between red or amber is determined by the material being used. Use a safelight filter recommended by the paper manufacturer. What counts is the total amount of light in the darkroom rather than any mixture of red and amber.

Amber is preferred for most papers since it provides the best visibility. The human eye has a problem with red light and visual acuity is poorer than with shorter wavelengths.

4. bsinmich

bsinmich Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like to bounce the safelight off the ceiling or wall. I can see and I have never had a problem with fogging.