Red frame number window replacement

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Neanderman, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was wondering if anyone has had any successful experience with replacing the red frame number view windows that were common in older roll film cameras. I have a couple of decent, probably usable cameras whose only fault is that the red plastic has been lost.

Thanks.

Ed

2. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps a small, correctly cut piece of transparent Plexiglas (or similar material of proper thickness) covered over with a matching piece of low-tack Rubylith? Just apply the Rubylith first, then gently cut the plastic to size. Relatively small source squares of Plexiglas and Rubylith would probably be enough for scores of repairs.

Don't know if Rubylith might be too dark, however...

Ken

3. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hit a theatrical supply house and buy a Rosco or Lee swatch book, for a few dollars. B&H sells them as well. A swatch of the samller size is 1" x3", and there will be several suitable reds. Then you have a ton of other gels to get you thinking of the light modification possibilities.

Rubylith would work as well, but trying the find it could be a challenge today, particularly if you want just a tiny amount.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Automotive tail light lens repair tape may work too.

5. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Litho tape is a high quality red transparent tape that is handy for this and countless other uses in photography.

6. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I already have some Rosco gel sample books and either rubylith, litho tape or auto taillight repair tape should be easy to find.

I'll report back on which one I settle on.

Ed

7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For the plastic (on which to apply the red gel), you could try the plastic from one of those impossible to open clamshell packs.