red-spool Kodachrome processing

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by accozzaglia, Mar 17, 2010.

1. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I'm stumped:

Dwayne's announced almost a year ago that all mailers after the end of last year would not be honoured. That's not what this concerns.

I no longer have mailers. I do, however, have unprocessed rolls of KR64 housed in a red metal film enclosure (as opposed to common black). These rolls were the ones labelled "36P" (P for "processing") and "Film Price INCLUDES Processing by Kodak" [emphasis theirs]. Searches on here and on Dan's forum are not turning up anything. Or maybe I have an acute case of the dense(s) today.

Does anyone know the status of these? Are these still honoured? Has anyone sent one of these to Dwayne's since the new year?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  2. BobbyR

BobbyR Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    From what I have been told, Kodachrome from foreign countries mailers will still be honored.
    I have some Swiss Kodachrome and I have to send it to Switzerland and they will send it to Dwayne's; so outside of the postage to Switzerland, it is paid for.
    I have heard the same applies to anything outside of the U.S.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My guess is that Kodak is not paying Dwayne's to process Kodachrome, so you'll have to pay.

Don't sweat it - pay if you must, and enjoy the film. After December 31, 2010 you won't have the option anymore.

4. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, I will. But I may not be able to afford shooting Kodachrome quite as much as I had budgeted for the remainder of this year. I was not aware that Kodak was no longer paying Dwayne's across the board for Kodachrome processing. I just had understood beforehand that all mailers were phased out — whereas perhaps the rolls specifically saying processing paid on the roll itself was another grouping. Thanks for letting me know.

5. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would call Kodak and ask them about it. Their film department is actually really on the ball. Has always answered my emails in 24 hours or less!
    Never know, couldn't hurt, and they just might say yes to paying for it. :wink:

Jed

6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Processing-paid film is old film. I can't remember how many years ago that Kodak included processing with Kodachrome in Canada.

Still, Jed has it right - no harm in asking.

7. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you are in Canada, you are not bound by US Anti-trust laws. Since Dwayne's still honors process-paid from the rest of the world until 11/30/2010, I would assume that they would for Canada too.

8. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been sending my film to Dwaynes via Kodak and paying them for it (works out a bit cheaper here in Australia) and with the last lot I got a note saying that the prepaid service would continue until October or November (can't remember which).

9. aluk

aluk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I posed this very question to Kodak in the fall, as I thought I would be acquiring some old Canadian process-paid Kodachrome. After some back-and-forth with them, I was told that a place called District Photo in Maryland was dealing with these sort of rolls on Kodak's behalf, and that the process-paid film was being honoured.

10. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jed --

Is there any way you could send a PM to me with that email address? Thanks.

11. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    PM sent!
    Also just for the sake of completeness, if you would rather use the phone, this is the man and the line to talk to:
    Peter V.
    Kodak Professional Technical Support
    800-242-2424 ext. 19
    Best of luck, hope it goes through for you.
    Jed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  12. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suggest contacting Dwayne's. Their website has their phone number and email address. From past experience, it's not the mailer that's important, it's what's on the cartridge. You should have no problem. What I don't know is if you can send it directly or need to send it through another address.

Little known fact:
    Most people don't know that Kodak could have sold prepaid Kodachrome in the US for the last 15 years they sold it. In 1994, due to changes in Kodak's market share and amount of competition, the 1954 decree prohibiting Kodak from selling prepaid processing in the US and the 1921 decree prohibiting Kodak from selling Kodak film under private labels in the US, were both terminated.

13. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Photo Engineer, is this true?

14. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not PE, but it is true.

15. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May I call you PEKing, Matt? O: )

(sorry, I seriously had trouble resisting that . . . for about three seconds)

Still, add that tidbit of knowledge as an exhibit for the Kodachrome Sabotage Case File. :tongue:

16. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now we're O/T. My fault.

I like this: ". . . the district court having found that the purposes of both consent decrees had been achieved and that termination of the decrees would benefit consumers."

That's great. I can almost see it: "Let's spend several tens of thousands in court to fight it and, now that we won our case, sit on our hands and implement nothing reflecting that favourable court decision."

18. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I suppose a quick update is in order:

I heard back from both Peter at Kodak and from Dwayne's, and there appears to be conflicting responses. Summarized, Peter explained that he understood that Dwayne's would still honour these until the end of the year (let's assume he meant end of November 2010, I guess), but was not completely sure. Separately, Dwayne's customer service responded: "the process paid is no longer honored" with nothing further on when it was ended or whether the PK mailers and the red-magazine rolls were being honoured as one in the same up until the same termination date.

So, if anyone here since January 1st of this year — from Europe, ideally, or if anyone sent to that lab in Maryland for them to forward to Kansas — has had paid processing included with film they sent in, then I think it'd be great to hear about it. Otherwise, it appears that this impacts everyone across the globe.

19. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm in the UK and currently posting my paid-processing-included films to Kodak, Switzerland, as per Kodak instructions. Kodak send them to and from Dwaynes and post them back from Lausanne...two to three weeks. No change in the system or service since 1st January.

I'm using in-date K64 and the last of my expired K25 and K200 from my freezer, no problems or extra charges with either.

The only change in the mailers is that the ones from the last batches of K64 are overprinted with a warning that Kodachrome processing finishes at November 2010 (presumably giving Kodak a month's leeway as Dwaynes are finishing direct processing at 31st Dec.)

20. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One possibly significant difference is that as of a few months ago, Kodak will no longer forward Kodachrome to Dwayne's from Canada. Canadians must mail it directly to Dwayne's.

21. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm also getting the impression that this District Photo address, which was handling things after Qualex:

Kodak Mailer Processing
    c/o District Photo
    10501 Rhode Island Av
    Beltsville, MD 20705

is no longer handling mailers, yes?

22. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's only one lab in the world doing Kodachrome, and that's Dwayne's, so if District Photo is doing anything, they are just forwarding to Dwayne's. Seems rather inefficient. My guess is that they once did K-14 and no longer do.

23. accozzaglia

accozzaglia Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This inquiry was more a function of honouring paid processing film, Jim. I gathered this was the purpose of sending all paid processing film to District so that the bookkeeping would be handled for Kodak there, while the processing would be forwarded to and handled by Dwayne's.

24. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The last address I used for mailers was:

Kodak Premium Processing
    PO Box 1171
    Parsons, KS 67357-1171.

25. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format