Redo Sulphide Toning?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Steffen Alexander, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Steffen Alexander

Steffen Alexander Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On some prints i have overdone indirect toning with sulphide toner (Moersch MT3). Is it possible to reconvert the silver sulphide into silver to start again with the same print?

2. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    sorry, but the silversulphide which makes the brown tone is very resistent against the bleach.

3. Steffen Alexander

Steffen Alexander Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    if it were this easy, i would not bore the apugers with such a post. any other ideas?

4. resident K

resident K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As i know bleach with potassium permanganate and sulphur acid must work in this case,though not tried it personaly.

5. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello together,
    a bleach with potassium permanganate/sulfuric acid or potassium dichromate (carcinogenic!)/sulfuric acid as known from reversal processes would remove the complete silver, the sulphide anions will be oxidized to sulphate. What is needed to reconvert the silver into silver sulphide would be a bleach which makes a rehalogenation to silver bromide. The bleach bath consisting of potassium hexacyanoferrate(III) and potassium bromide cannot convert silversulphide into silber bromide. The best way is to make new prints and to make trials with pieces of scrap prints before. The correct effect of toning is only visible after drying.