reds!

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Black Dog, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What are the benefits of a redhancer filter? Remember reading a piece about them once in Photon several years ago.

2. tomishakishi2

tomishakishi2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have read about them and seen them used a few times before. I also heard of one person who had a filter made especially for her. She called it not a warm up, but a pink up. I think they warm an image and take the cool eldge of an image without giving rise to that jaundiced look that using a yellow to the point of noticeable warmth gives. The woman who use the pink up used it for scottish mountain scenes in snow. It looked great, reducing the blue cast and really adding warmth...but red rather than yellow warmth. This one was pretty subtle. I guess redhancers would be useful for autumn foliage etc.

Tom

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I guess you are talking about something like the Tiffen Enhancing Filter. It works quite well if you have a subject with a lot of warm tones, however, I would not use it if you are shooting Velvia - the effect can be quite garish, IMO.