refoaming FILCA

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by brucemuir, Dec 23, 2012.

1. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have quite a few FILCA's that need re-foaming. I will probably just get sheets of the funny foam to make the new gaskets that seal the ends (see inset).

Anyone have a good suggestion for the adhesive if I cant find any self sticking sheets of foam. I think these are brass.

Thanks.
    filca_L3M9803.JPG

2. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used liquid rubber on some of my FILCA's.

3. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks George.
    I was considering some sort of rubber contact cement so I guess that's what I'll end up trying perhaps.

4. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've used Weldbond Contact Cement. The one with the little brush in the cap.

Do yourself a favor a buy a cheapie set of tiny model airplane paint brushes to apply the contact cement.

And once you open the contact cement, it's only a matter of time before it eventually hardens and turns to rubber over the course of six or eight months.

I like the Weldbond brand. It's very effective. Apply it to both surfaces. Allow it to dry for a few minutes. Press together.

I've also lately been using Loctite Clear Silicone sealant for certain items.

In your case, I'd probably start with the Weldbond Contact Cement -- available in Home Depot, Lowes and similar stores.

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    You should be able to find Foamies with the self-adhesive backing at Michael's or other craft stores. Cost is about $1.99 a sheet or something like that.