Refrigerating ILFOCHROME paper?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Tom Kershaw, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two boxes of Ilfochrome paper released just before the discontinuation was announced; 1 x 12"x16", and 1 x 8"x10" unopened. I also have an opened box of 8"x10" paper. The unopened materials have been stored in a cool, dry place but not at under 10ÂșC. The Ilfochrome data sheet http://www.ilford.com/media/53862/cps_clm.pdf suggests allowing paper to warm to room temperature before opening, however I've often been nervous of storing paper in a fridge due to concerns over condensation and moisture; as the paper is not completely sealed in the box.

If I were to refrigerate the paper as I'm most likely not going to use it in the next few weeks are there any extra precautions worth taking, e.g. Ziplock bags etc?

Tom

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The freezer is the dryest place in house...

Ice will only form on the sides of the freezer, or when one scrapes those sides. Condensation will only form when taking that paper of the freezer.

Use a somehoe sealed watertight envelope, try to include as little air as possible. Wait some hours before freezing.
    (Aside of adding silica-gel,) That's the best one could do.

3. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I always used ziplocks and the freezer and never had moisture issues. Like Agx says just don't open it till it warms up to room temp.

However it's probably already shifted on you in 2 years so you might as well test a couple sheets before wasting your time and thinking its going to be there when you need it.

4. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What if I have some Cibichrome paper... (Unopened 8x10 package) is there any point in storing it?

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ciba keeps rather poorly if not stored cold - highlights start to crossover in a matter of months. I don't really know just how long it is stable frozen. Guess I'll find out when I finally thaw my last box. Somebody like Chris Burkett who still makes his living with this might know - he's certainly gambling on it staying good awhile.

6. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    He doesn't have a box of Cibichrome anyway. In my experience Ilfochrome's lifepspan is not that impressive even frozen. A few years certainly but probably not 10 or 15.

7. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well then mine is certainly no good at all... it came to me by chance when someone offered me a cheap enlarger for free, I said sure, it was REALLY cheap, I shortly after got a nice D2 but anyway the box had some ciba chem measure cups and a book on ciba and then a package of 8x10 paper (with some Kodak RC paper too that was WAY old I'm sure none of it is any good)... I figured it was no good... but wanted to ask, this confirms it, maybe I'll sell it on ebay (honestly of course) some Lomo person will want it for experiments or something.

8. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What a pitiful loss of such a great process. Sickening.

9. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stone- Cut it into 4x5 sheets, and shoot it in your new camera.

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    haha, and how do you propose I develop the paper... since it's Cibichrome? LOL

Honestly I'm just so done with old film/paper, etc, it was fun for the past year I've been doing all sorts of experiments, learned how to do a lot of fun stuff, but ultimately I want to be shooting more current dated film. I also don't have a darkroom at all so I use a changing bag, imagine trying to cut paper in a changing bag... not a tent, a bag... ugh the nightmare! I don't enjoy that part at all, some do, I don't.

11. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As sickening as it is, just throw it out and get it off your mind. The computer and it's digital devices have destroyed a lot of things for a lot of people. This is clearly one of them. Cibachrome is forever lost, and it is a shame and a disgrace. But that's just the way it is. Sometimes I console myself that one day in heaven, we'll have these wonderful things back somehow. Unless I end up shoveling coal and begging for a glass of icewater:smile:

12. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Somehow I suspect even your glass of ice water would only be empty... :wink:

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If it is really CIBACHROME and not ILFOCHROME it is 30+ years old, completely worthless, and not worth another second.

14. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Frankly, I'm glad it's gone. Move on.
    I speak from long, long and often bitter experience with that beast. Probably a few others here on APUG can do that too.

15. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry, but it's hard. Once in a while you would have a beautiful print with a totally flawless glass surface that would last forever. Never saw a glossier photo before or since.

16. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, you'd get a beautiful print with a mirror finish if the original image was well exposed and balanced and within the restrictive two-piece contrast variance of the material; and if the raw material wasn't micro-scratched, crimped, stained, impacted or just plain faulty (or how about "sorry, must have been lost in transit"?). Lost!? Yeah.
    The mean life of conservation framed Ilfochromes is 450~500 years in ideal conditions of storage and display. Unframed/raw print 'chromes will never get to that length of time. :smile: I know, I know, we won't be around to look back on our fabulous work "way back when" but hey, there's no harm in leaving a lasting image.