Refrigerating loaded bulk film?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by waynecrider, Oct 12, 2011.

1. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm considering going to bulk film and I'm wondering how you keep the film after loading it. Do you refrigerate it in the loader in say a plastic bag or remove the film and refrigerate it, or just load the whole thing into canisters to freeze. Just wondering.

2. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For bulk 35mm I put the bulk film in a bulk loader and a zip lock freezer bag. Throw it in the frig tell I need some, when I do take it out have to let it warm to room temp. while still in the unopened freezer bag,to prevent condensation forming.
    I don't know if freezing is a good Idea if you are going to be taking it in and out to load film.When I freeze film its for at least a year or so other wise the regular fridge works fine.
    Mike

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think with BW film, refrigeration is not critical. Keeping it in a cool, dry place is good. Color film, especially transparency film should be refrigerated or frozen so the color won't shift. Definitely store it in a plastic bag and bring to room temp before loading.

4. AgCl4ever

AgCl4ever Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I load the 100 feet in one sitting and pop the cartridges into the fridge.

5. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good topic. I'm looking into this myself and so it's good to know.

6. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maincoonmaniac is correct:

For monochrome, unless you are not going to use the film* within a year you really do not need to refridgerate unless you live in the tropics. Keep film in a cool dry and dark area less than 20 degrees.
    If, as part of your housekeeping you habitually keep in the fridge use zip lock freezer bags and allow 48hours for product to come back up to temperature.

* The one exception to this is ultra high speed film such as DELTA 3200 or any Infra Red film or extended red film that really is best stored in the fridge.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

7. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One problem with refrigerating film is condensation. That is why I never bother any more with BW film - it doesn't seem to need it. If you do try it, make sure the film really is SEALED inside those bags, otherwise you might find that instead of preserving your film for longer - you might actually scrap the whole batch as excess moisture will encourage mould growth and make the film stick to itself.

Er... so I've heard. From other people, obviously. :whistling:

8. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do the same as mike c. Put the loader in a zip lock bag and keep in the freezer. Don't worry about thawing and re-freezing several times. It won't hurt film; it's not meat.

9. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Its meat and drink to me!

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

10. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm in southern Florida so bagged and refrigerated is the way to go. I'll probably roll off as many canisters as I can and freeze those, then use what's in the stored loader first.

I want a new loader so would the cheap Lloyd be fine or should I go with the Arista? I'm not a heavy user.

11. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never liked the Lloyd because of the felt light trap. Once a bit of grit gets in it then the film will be scratched.

12. cmacd123

cmacd123 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    One subtle item came up a few years ago in the Cinematography.com mail list. It is not uncommon for hobby cinematographers to use Short ends (film left over from a commecial production, in rolls left offer after a shot) The late John P from Kodak mentioned that film that has been left out like that may have more moisture in it than when it left the factory, and that might cause ice formation which would look like grain.

He said their is no problem with freezing film as shipped from the factory with the seal (tape) still on the cans, but that he would hesitate to freeze a roll that has spent a day in a camera magazine before being packed away as a short end or a recan.

John P was the follow who literally wrote the books on Movie lab operations (LAD system) so He is probaly in the same expert class as our own PE.

SINCE then I have been only using the fridge for bulk loaded rolls. I also use zipper freezer bags for any film in the fridge or freezer. My fridge sometimes gets a LOT of condensation, and I was getting some "growing stuff" on the packaging, I have not encoutered any on the film itself, but I am a touch obsessive about sealing stuff up.

13. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :laugh: