Regional Group: Michigan ?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes Region' started by df cardwell, Aug 15, 2005.

1. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it time for a Michigan group ?

I, for one, would love to put together a co-op gallery in the Detroit area.

Or a treehouse. We could have a secret handshake.

And beer.

2. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm on the other side of the state from Detroit, but I'm always interested in linking up with like-minded people.

3. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    i am up in Traverse City. it's quite a drive from here. 4 hours or so. but i would like to meet others interested in LF and the darkroom.

Pete

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    This week four loco locals and some outsiders are doing a platinum LF workshop on the south east side of Cleveland. See BobHerbst.com Until you have enough for a MI group, lets talk about a MI-OH group. Maybe there are some INs interested also. Anything iteresting to shoot on the tri state corner? Auburn-Cord Dusensenberg is another interest of mine, but I'm interested in talking and shooting with like minded LF souls.

John Powers
    4x5, 8x10 and thinking about panoramic formats
    Bath, OH

5. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep me in mind. I live a few blocks from Detroit off of woodward and would be interested. Maybe we could meet in Ann Arbor. It is pleasant enough to warrant a day trip for those on the west coast and up in the pinky.

Unfortunately, mu schedule tends to preclude long term planing, but I'll do my best.

There are also Ontario and Chicago APUGers. We could have a Great lakes APUG Meet.

6. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I rather like the sound of a "Great Lakes APUG" meet.

Pete

7. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep the ideas coming- this is great !

don

8. ggriffi

ggriffi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't mind being part of a "Great Lakes Apuggers" :D You know we have folk in Wisconsin, too. Maybe we can put something together this fall.

g

9. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just as an aside the Mississippi River area between Wisconsin and Minnesota is beautiful.

Pete

10. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would be very interested in participating in a Great Lakes group. Between the Great Lakes themselves, UP waterfalls, Indiana farms, the urban landscapes of Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland; there are great photographs to be made here.

11. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well that's because THIS is the 'chosen land'! :wink: haha :D

Well, that would be very cool! I spend much time in the 3-state area of WI, IN & MI; living in WI, with family in the other two.

Hubby & I are going up to the UP on Monday for nine days as a matter of fact! We'll be stopping in Marinette county (WI) to shoot some falls, then work our across '2' then up to the Soo to see his family. Over to the Two Hearted River, then on to more falls in Munising before going back home. :smile: Ahhh... ain't life grand???

12. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm in Kalamazoo and would be interested in meeting folks.

To the LF folks in the region there is also the Midwest Large Format Asylum which is an informal group that has held outings in the Chicago area, Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan. The group has an outing planned in mid-September to see an Edward Weston (at least I believe it is EW) exhibit in Indianapolis. Members are also from Minnesota and Ohio although I don't think any trips have been held in those states yet. They have a website (http://www.midwestlargeformat.com/) if anyone is interested in more info.

Joe

13. Gim

Gim Subscriber

BWGirl
    At Pictured Rocks:
    If you don't mind a 11 mile hike, take the mosquito falls trail to Lake Superior, turn right, thru Grand Portal to Chapel Beach and back on the North side of the river to Chapel Falls. Great hike and you may even get a picture.
    jim

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the heads up, Jim! I do not mind the hike... our dear old dog might not enjoy it much, but we'll wait & see how she's doing when we get there. She's a 14yr old dalmatian/blk. Lab mix (a b&w dog, of course)! :wink:

Joe... I'm in K-zoo a lot... I'll have to pm you sometime when I'm over there.

16. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just outside of Munising on 94 i think it is, there is (are) the Wagner Falls. They are very nice and easy to get to. Climb over the rail and get into the river for the best shots.

Pete

17. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ok so there is some general interest. So how do we move forward and make something happen?

Pete

18. jd callow

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suspect that we propose a series of locations and times and see which combinations get the most action.

I would also recommend that we nominate Peter or DF to lead the charge on this.

19. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format

This is a great hike and the lake is spectaculer..Evan Clarke

20. Gim

Gim Subscriber

I don't think they allow dogs on most of the path. Only from the parking lot to chapel falls..."I think". It may be quite a walk for an old dog, its getting harder for me I notice.

If you don't have one, check the book store for "Michigan Atlas & Gazetteer". It has the state broke down and shows all the waterfalls in the state. There are a lot of them in the U.P.

I'm from Kazoo and live 50 miles north. If you get to kazoo, I'm good for coffee.

jim

21. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK ! So, how about it ?

Peter.... and all ...

Gotta start someplace. How about September 10, in Clare, Michigan ?

If we meet in the middle of the state a couple times this fall, we can meet.. then retreat during the winter. I think Ferndale, maybe a studio tour, would be good in, oh, November or December.

Don

see attached collodian image of the state of michigan for directions

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2005
  22. jd callow

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ferndale is in peak photo season right now.
    The state fair is going on until Sunday (5 rolls of 220 and 5 of 120 shot so far and going back for more tonight) and the dream cruise starts tomorrow.

Sept 10 is a little early for colour isn't it? Clare and the date are aok with me. The pidgeon river is a little north, but easy to get to and very photogenic. Little manistee is very nice but a little harder to find and your stomping grounds, although even further north are very excellent (cherry festival?).

Luddington is easy, pretty and has tons of accomodations...

(EDIT)
    Let me back track a hair. Clare in Sept is great. As noted above, there are a lot of oppertunities for future meets.

23. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don,

Are you doing wetplate? I just returned from a collodion workshop in NJ with Michael Mazzeo and am psyched to do some more soon. Ive accumulated all the stuff to do it on my own and am working on a portable field darkroom. I hope to have it set to go by next weekend.

Are you in Saugatuck by any chance? I've heard someone there does the process. I also know Albinger in Lansing used to make tintypes and there are a couple ambrotypists in the Detroit area I believe.

Any idea how many wetplate collodion photographers are in the state and who they are?

Joe

24. jd callow

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    collodian image/print is different than a a collodian plate is it not?

FWIW and not yet for public consumption we are real close to getting scully and osterman for the APUG conference see http://www.collodian.org

25. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds good, Jim! :smile:

26. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    AFAIK the term "collodion image" would refer to either a wetplate collodion ambrotype glass positive, a tintype/ferrotype/melainotype positive on a metal sheet (iron in the past and aluminum contemporaneously), or a collodion negative glass plate. There were some dry collodion glass plates for negatives as well.

I've never heard of a collodion print, which is not to say there isn't such a thing.

Joe