Relativeley cheap repairs for relatively cheap cameras?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by cmo, Aug 18, 2011.

1. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Did you ever have a lucky garage sale day? Yesterday was a good day: 16 cameras and ten lenses... four of them are Leicas, seven are old Nikons including a super-rare "Nikkor F", chrome version, with the TN finder and a 1.4/50mm, another F, an F2 Photomic, four Nikkormats and many more. The better cameras will get a professional CLA, I will use some of them and sell the others. I always wanted a Nikon F and a Leica M3 DS with the collapsible 50mm/f3.5 :wub:

Some of these cameras need a repair but do not have much value: Nikkormats are pretty cheap these days, just like the Leica R4 bodies and this tiny Olympus 35 RD. So, buying full CLAs for all of them is not very wise from an economic point of view. I can't repair cameras myself, not even the sticky shutter in the Olympus, a repair described as a good first job for a beginner. One of the Nikkormats and a Leica R4 body share the same problem: mirror is up, shutter can't be fired though the camera seems to be cocked. I did not check half of the cameras yet, due to a lack of mercury batteries (speak: battery adapters), but I expect some of them to have some problems.

I don't want to give them away as defective, but I don't want to spend 150 bucks on a CLA for a camera that is worth 100 bucks. What would you do with these relatively cheap cameras? Are there any reliable repairmen for such cameras in Europe that can work 'housewifely' and only repair what needs to be repaired?

2. waileong

waileong Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There is a difference between price and value.

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    how much did you pay for the lot?!

4. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Your cameras are worth noting if they don't work. Having em overhauled for $150/ea is well worth the money if you are planing to use em. Perhaps selling cheap to people that are willing to overhaul em n own a beautiful camera that will last another 30 years is your best bet, your buyers can take advantge of your great find n you will be contributing to our global effort, keeping film alive.

5. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would take the R4 off your hands as it is similar to my XD-11. I have a good idea as to what the problem may be. Leica changed the electronics from what Minolta had and experienced some problems.

6. himself

himself Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would have the ones you want to use serviced and put the rest that are uneconomical to fix sell on ebay as parts cameras, or failing that put them in the trash bin, because it's skilled work there no such thing as cheap camera repairs these days the labour cast the same if they are Holgas or Leicas.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  8. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Or you could give them away as defective...

9. Sethasaurus

Sethasaurus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They're worthless. Send them to me :laugh:

10. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I sometimes get myself in trouble this way also.

I see these older mechanical cameras and cant pass them by.
    The Nikons are right on the edge as far as being worth fixing.