Relevant Magazines

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by MamiyaJen, Sep 20, 2011.

1. MamiyaJen

MamiyaJen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to do a little survey regarding magazines.

Now I don't know about anywhere else in the world but, AG Magazine aside, here in the UK there are far too few really great photography magazines about and as for magazines dedicated to analogue practice, well they're non-existent.

So my question is (and this may be obvious) would you like to see more magazines out there dedicated solely to analogue practice and what would you like to see in them? It could be purely portfolios, a mix of that and techniques...anything, I'd really appreciate some feedback on this issue.

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Might be too narrow of an audience...something along the lines of ViewCamera Magazine which also has articles about hybrid work might be a better business plan.

3. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Lenswork, only a little larger please.
    Silvershotz
    B&W (US)

John Powers

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are we thinking of doing something about it? Just curious. Tried it for a while, myself and another chap from that little island over there. Had a go at it. And it was rewarding, but far too much work for far too small an audience.

For imageery, one need look no further than Google, to be frank. I have always loved brushing up on the technical side of things myself.

5. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find these days it's basically hit and miss no matter which magazine. Some issues are interesting to me, some not at all. That's why I don't have any subscriptions anymore. I go to the magazine store, flip through and see if something's worth buying. Sometimes you see an issue that's nearly all about digital methods etc, so I don't bother. Other times I might buy an issue simply because I like the work presented in it (for example a recent issue of View Camera that featured previously unissued George Tice work cover to cover - that was pretty exciting for me).

I guess at this point the thing is I don't need the technical advice, equipment tests etc that I used to enjoy reading in all sorts of magazines from View Camera to Popular Photography, and in general most everything technical in magazines is related to digital anyway, so none of them are of much interest to me anymore from that perspective. Of the current magazines I tend to buy B&W/Color (American) most often, and sometimes View Camera. I don't like much of the UK stuff other than the occasional issue of Black and White Photography.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the magazine racks where I live have almost no issues with film.

Jeff

7. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Amongst the photographic treasures I have saved over the years are several issues of Camera & Darkroom and Darkroom & Creative Camera Techniques magazines. I would love to see a new magazine along those lines.

8. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd like to see this too. And also I'd like to see it for sale in UK shops as its costs $78 for a one year sub.

UK mags in general are total dross; a mixture of advertorials, programming tips and articles telling readers how to copy someone else's style. I've totally given up on them and their obsession with gear. What I'd love to see is a mag with no mention of what brand of camera a photographer uses, film or digital, rather some really great portfolios and interviews with interesting people. A focus upon people and their photos - not cameras and software. And importantly, this should be on paper, not on a monitor, I stare at this damn thing 5 days a week...

9. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree-B&W was great up to 2007 and then it went more and more downhill. Love Ag and like Lenswork-Borders used to stock it IIRC.

10. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    About the last thing I want to see is another magazine only viewable digitally. After all, prints on paper are what analogue photography is about.
    An editor at Aperture recently told me that her magazine will have more traditional oriented photography in the future. Probably its part of a trend of younger photographers getting interested in alt-processes.

11. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format