Reliable 35mm Bulk Loader

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmIs4Ever, Oct 9, 2004.

1. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

Hello everyone. I am in search of the most fool-proof, film-gentle (little or no scratches) bulk loader currently on the market or easily available used for use with 100 foot rolls of film. I have no problem with the cheap one I have, but now I'm looking for one for a newspaper with relatively inexperienced photographers who've never dealt with bulk film let alone true black and white film and I want the least potential for disaster. Thanks for your help.

Regards.
    ~Karl Borowski

2. mikewhi

mikewhi Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The best-made one that I know of is the Aldin. I am not a big bulk loader person, but I have both a Watson and an Aldin and the latter one is constructed much better.

HTH....

-Mike

3. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a pair of Watsons that have been in use since... well, a long time! Maybe since 1982 for one of them, bought the second for sure in '94. No scratching, simple to use as long as you get the can in straight (not at a wildly-wrong angle, like 90 degrees or more out of whack).

4. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Alden, with the Watson close behind. I notice that Freestyle sell both.

Best,
    Helen

5. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm probably going to wind up in the minority on this issue, but I've never had scratching with any of my 4 Lloyd loaders. I just make sure that the felt is kept VERY clean.

6. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, Karl,

I've never used the Aldin, but I'll add another vote for the Watson; mine has about 30 years of use on it--no problems.

Konical

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Alden's worked for me for 20-odd years.

8. Dean Williams

Dean Williams Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for the Watson. One of mine is from my high school days, (read early 70s). No complaints. No felts to keep clean. Probably had well over 15k ft. run through it by now.

9. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I've ever used were Watsons, the only way scratches could be made with them was to forget to open the gate before winding a roll. DOH! Been there done that.

10. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both Watson and Alden loaders (for many years). In my opinion, the Alden is the best.

11. g0tr00t

g0tr00t Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just bought a Lloyd that has to be from the 70's for $5. Works great and no wasted film like I get from my Watson.

12. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the Alden bulk loader for years without any mishaps. The counter on the side is very handy as well.