Removal of haze on LF inner lens element

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by John Snyder, Jan 9, 2009.

1. John Snyder

John Snyder Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a Rodenstock 90mm/6.8 Grandagon that has moderate haze over much of one of the inner front elements. It's hard to tell exactly which surface, or surfaces, it's on. I'd like to have it removed, but I wondered if anyone who has encountered a similar problem could recommend a shop in the U.S that is experienced with such things. I assume it isn't simple to take out the elements and clean and reassemble them. (Apologies if this has been addressed before--searched for any applicable threads but didn't find any.)

If there aren't any recommendations, I'll probably take it to Phototronics in Seattle. Any reports on their work?

Thanks,

John

2. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Any good photo technician should be able to clean your lens. Disassembly and reassembly of lenses is Photo repair 101. Most, if not all technicians have specific tools to disassemble lens elements. They are available from Micro-Tools.

3. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Are you shure it is not at the shutter-side ? > but in the front lens-section ?
    If it is at the shutterside can be removed quite easily by while holding the shutter unscrewing the entire front lens section.
    Clean with alcohol and a soft piece of cloth.
    Remounting: put the lens section onto the shutter and move it anti-clockwise untill it "falls" into place, then turn clock-wise until tight.

Peter

4. John Snyder

John Snyder Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It is most definitely within the front elements.

John

5. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To the repair-shop I'm afraid....
    Taking lenses apart en putting them together is a tricky job if you havn't done it before.

Peter

6. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if this could be fungus. In that case there are a couple of things to try. One is to put the lens it bright sun for a few hours, as that can kill the fungus. If that doesn't work then the lens needs to be serviced by a good technician. Hopefully if it is fungus it hasn't etched the glass.

7. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To do it the good way, one needs a collimator to realign the elements when reassembling and a rather clean environment too.

8. jonw

jonw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Can anyone recommend someone in the US who does this type of cleaning? I have a nice 210mm Graphic Kowa lens which has this problem on the interior of its cells. If you do, any clue as to the cost for this work? Thanks. Jon

9. Tomf2468

Tomf2468 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It has been a long time, but Photography on Bald Mountain use to do this type of work. Many years ago they did a nice job on an old Wollensak for me

http://www.baldmtn.com/AINFOSHT2.htm

10. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used Photo on Bald Mountain and he did a great job on my Super Ikonta lens and shutter. The other place I heard about was Focal Point for this type of work. I have never used them.

11. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    SK GRIMES does it very good, as I was told, AND they are an APUG sponsor and by this merit the priority...
    BTW, I think that when this kind of question is coming up, one should consult the sponsor list first "...you scratch my back, I scratch yours...".

I hope that I did not offend somebody by stating this, but sponsoring is important for this marvellous forum to exist and an economic reality for the sponsors...

Philippe

12. Steve Smales

Steve Smales Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Does anyone know a company who can be trusted to do this work in the UK.

I have the same problem.

thanks

Steve