Removing Rewind Knob on Canon AE-1 Program or AL-1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by lifted, Jul 23, 2011.

1. lifted

lifted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a rewind knob from some guy earlier today and he took it off his AE-1 program and put it on my AL-1. (They are the same knob structure). I was paying attention to how he did it, but obviously not close enough because I can't get it to work now... :blink: He gave me the AE-1 after he took the knob off so now I have 1 rewind knob for 2 bodies... ha!

Can someone take a few pictures and post a description of taking the rewind knob off of the Canon AE-1 Program or AL-1? There's a flat-top screw so I can't just unscrew it.. I think you have to hold the film spool pin on the inside while you twist the rewind knob left... I have tried holding the spool pin with a wrench, grasping it with a cloth and some forceps, but it either keeps spinning or nothing happens - the rewind knob doesn't come off.

ETA: Anyone have a AE-1 Program Repair Manual? All the ones I've found online are deleted...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2011
  2. lifted

lifted Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I figured it out (just needed to find a way to hold it firmer) but... I could really use a .pdf of the AE-1 Program Repair Manual. I can't find one anywhere online... anyone have one saved to their computer or know where to find one?

3. Mackinaw

Mackinaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I always just put the shaft of a small screwdriver through the prongs of a rewind shaft if I want to unscrew the knob...

Duncan

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stick a Chinese (non-pointed) chopstick into the fat slot of the rewind tab (the part that goes into the film cassette when it is in the camera) to hold it in place.