Repackaging Kodak E6 chemicals

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by messar, Mar 11, 2011.

1. messar

messar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    With the demise of the 5l kit, I'm really wondering which way to go for my e6 processing - I'd prefer to stay with the 6 bath instead of the 3 bath (both for quality, and to some extent cost - I use a phototherm processor, so most chemistry is one shot).

I could buy larger quantities of the chemicals, but I'm not sure of the shelf life once opened - it's a pretty large investment after all to buy what are now the minimum quantities.

Is there any source that is repackaging to smaller quantities of E6 (like C41 from the Formulary)?

Failing that, does anyone have any knowledge of problems I'd run into by repackaging myself?

My thought is to put into smaller bottles (polyethylene?), then top with Argon (I have a TIG welder, so already have argon at home). I'd then be able to dilute to working solutions when I'm ready to actually develop.

The mixing from minilab kits seems relatively straightforward - am I missing anything before I decide to spend the money on chemistry?

Thanks,

matt

2. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The chemical bottles are typically high density polyethylene terapthalate (HDPE) and not simple PET.

Topping with an inert gas should do you fine. I was lazy with some 'expired' Kodak chemical concentrates I got in 2008 and never topped off the concentrates.. still got them and they're still fine.

One word of advice.. if you pour too much out of the bottle into a container.. dont pour it back in, as you dont want to contaminate the concentrate, separate for next use.

I can't see where you'd go wrong if done correctly.

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    fyi, I contacted badger graphic about making a order for fuji's Chrome 6 5liter kits. He said it would be possible but would likely require an order for a couple hundred of them. Not promising.

4. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, group order time. I'll go for 3.

5. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im interested in a few also.

6. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Woo-Hoo. A hundred ninety something to go!

We're on a roll now.

7. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd be interesting in a few.

Wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper though to do a group order from the UK?

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    this would be most excellent...
    I've put off buying anymore E6 film stock for the moment considering I'm working through my last Kodak 5L kit.

I still have some Astia in 220 and a bulk can of 135 Provia not to mention the odd 120 rolls of other stuff in my freezer. (Even some 400 speed EPL)

9. messar

messar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for all the great info. It looks like this will be quite straightforward.

Would of course appreciate anyone pointing out any potential pitfalls.

Matt

10. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Trebla E-6 Kits can be purchased in packs that are already broken up into 5L and 10L parts. Starters could need to be split up, but they are cheap enough to just buy a starter for everyone. Anyone have any experiance with Trebla e-6?

11. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in a kit or two for starters(Fuji E-6 5l kit that is).

so, about 194 kits to go :wink:? I can't imagine it'd be THAT hard for Fuji to start selling them here, especially since Hunt, IIRC is making them here in the USA. One of the girls at Fuji Chem's 1-800 phone line was able to e-mail me c-41 and e-6 chem info, so I don't think it'd be THAT hard, especially since Kodak has left a "niche" market for Fuji to grab a hold of.

maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

but how's this: A 5L e-6 kit for say, $40-50 from Freestyle? I'll bet they'd sell like hotcakes if priced competitively. And it'd help keep people shooting e-6 films, even if they sc@n(shhhh :smile:) it instead of optically print

-Dan

12. Chuck Mintz

Chuck Mintz Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would be happy to buy the 10L Kodak chemicals if I could. The problem is that my dealer tried and found that the dealer needed to buy case quantities of six. 10L is one thing, even if some goes bad. 60L is a loser. I tried to poke my buddy at B&H about them doing it but they will not touch the hazardous shipping. It would take one of the guys that already do this in bits in pieces to commit to it (Calumet, Adorama, Unique,...) and the problem would be solved. No need to repackage. $50 for a 5L is below what Kodak sold theirs for and probably not going to happen, but right now, there is no solution for those of us that do a moderate amount of E6.

13. carlosmccosta

carlosmccosta Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Kodak is killing its own market.
    Large quantity is for the masses and the masses use digital cameras.

14. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wonder what the real economics of reselling 10L bottles is... But the guy at Armidillo told me the issue wasn't breaking up the 6x10L kit, it's that the 10L bottles are not labeled for individual sale. I wonder what the issues would be for someone on the boards to buy a set and split it up? ... Personally, I'd likely pay $150 or a little more for a 10L kit - that's cheaper than buying the same quanitiy of the 1 Gallon Kits at Free Style.

15. messar

messar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Albert,

Based on some more research, I've started looking into putting together kits of chemicals. (mainly because to make it relatively affordable, you need to buy large volumes of chemistry, and I don't take that many pictures..)

I think the 10l quantities as sold by Kodak are pretty much non-starters for most of the items - it ends up being quite expensive. (with bleach being the worst, followed by color dev, followed by 1st dev).

However, buying larger quantites (like the 19l boxes), the shipping becomes painful. (on average, close to 1/2 the cost of the item itself).

I believe it would be a stretch though to sell a kit to do 10l for less then 150$, and maybe more depending on the shipping costs. However, I'll dig a bit further, and see what may be possible.

Would appreciate any feedback if anyone might be interested in this.

Matt

16. amac212

amac212 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WildBill - I'd totally be in for some of those Fuji 5L kits...

17. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just priced out a 6x10 L (2L of bleach) set of Trebla chemistry, it's less than $600 shipped. considering I have a 20# bottle of nitrogen at my house, I wonder how long that would last me... Anyone know what's required to rebadge this stuff and resell it? I mean, I could make copies of the labels coming off the 6 pack boxes...

18. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I posted to your Flickr thread.