Repair/CLA question

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by tjaded, Sep 5, 2007.

1. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all--
    I have a 35mm lens for my Canon IID and the lens focusing is stiff to frozen. Any idea of the best place to get it CLA'd? I was thinking about putting a drop or two of clock oil in there to free it up and then find a good grease for a more long term solution, anyone here have any experience doing this kind of thing? Would that be a mistake? Also, the viewfinder has a distance range knob on it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Can I just use the one built in and just use the viewfinder to compose (is this how it is supposed to be?) I'm new to the rangefinder world and am finding it a little weird--not in a bad way, just different. The main issue I am having is that I am so used to seeing the image backwards from side to side that I keep moving the camera the wrong way! Anyway, I'd like to try out the 35mm lens but I need some advice first.
    Thanks,
    Matt

2. David H. Bebbington

David H. Bebbington Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a manual here:
    http://66.49.230.119/canon_pdf/canon_ii_d_iv_s2.pdf
    The only adjustment for the viewfinder would seem to be a lever which varies the magnification. If it's not doing anything, it must be broken! Some Leicas and clones have variable diopter correction for the rangefinder (to compensate for user eyesight differences), the Canon IID does not seem to have this.

A gentle application of petroleum-based lighter fuel (not gas) should free up the dried grease on your focusing mount. By all means try clock oil first, this will have less of a solvent action.

If an ACCESSORY viewfinder has a distance scale on it, this will be a facility for tilting the finder to correct for a parallax error - have not seen a built-in finder with this. I have owned around 20 Leicas (and a Reid, and a Zorki) but not a Canon!

Regards,

David

3. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt,

Contact Sherry Krauter http://www.sherrykrauter.com/repairs.php She repaired a 50mm Summicron for me and did a cla on a M2. Both the lens and the M2 were restored to near mint condition....certainly like new in terms of working order.

Bob

4. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would never attempt to add any oil or fluid around a lens. Just the slightest trace in the wrong spot will work it's way to the lens element and fog the glass.

5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oil is the last thing to put in there.
    A couple of drops of ronsonol or other lighter fluid or even penetrating oil on the helical may loosen it up temporarily.
    The cure is a cla though. Flutot's camera repair may be a good option for you.

6. David H. Bebbington

Shooter:
    Medium Format

7. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David,
    Is this a collapsible lens?
    What's your point?

8. David H. Bebbington

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Simply that my impression was that this is a collapisible lens and that, if so, you can apply oil to the helical focusing thread without the risk of it entering the lens assembly.

Regards,

David