Repair Leitz M Meter Chrome

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I bought a non working Leitz M Meter Chrome for 27 dollars from UK including postage. Its cosmetically excellent. What would be happen to it ? Is it too much expensive to repair , Can I use it handheld for Zeiss 517/16.

Thank you ,

Umut

2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    LEITZ M METER CHROME.jpg

3. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    I think this is an early Leicameter with a selenium cell. Nearly all Leicameters with selenium cells I saw were dead and no spare parts are available. The later CdS types like the MR-4 require a mercury cell which is no longer available, maybe a zinc/air Wein Cell or a MR-9 adapter can be used. The plastic lid of the battery compartment is easy to break. I find that the MR-4 is not very useful as he has two measuring ranges and the border between them is just in the range of usual light conditions. When you carry a M-Leica with mounted Leicameter, the ASA setting is easily misadjusted as the ring rotates when in contact with your cloth. The measuring angle of the CdS meter is in the range of a 90 mm lens, the older selenium types have an angle of about a 50 mm lens.

4. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  5. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    thank you for the link, very useful, I did't know that somebody repairs those meters here in Germany. The picture is a MR-meter with CdS cell.

6. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If the mechanical parts are in good condition may be you could design a whole new meter circuit to go inside?

7. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi

I thought the CdS cell meters said MR on their name plate, and had a battery cover and adjusting screw in a different location??

Noel