Repair my T90 or switch to 1n/1v?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by agphotography, Mar 6, 2011.

1. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm having a debate on wether to repair my T90 or unload my FD gear and pickup a 1n or possibly a 1v. I really do like the T90, but I admittedly do have a good deal of L lenses in the EF mount.

I presently have the T90 and an A-1, but I preferred working with the T90 over the A-1. It just felt much more comfortable to me. I am selling one of the A-1s tomorrow and then the second one is also up for sale.

Here's what I have right now.

The T90 (and 300TL flash) w/ 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 100mm f/2.8, 200mm f/2.8 (though a bit rough), 35-105mm f/3.5 and I was about to buy a 35mm f/2 and a 85-300mm f/4.5 (and probably sell the 200 in the process)

For EF I have the 630 body for film but I'm not particularly attached to it and a 5DmkII + 1DmkIII. I have a whole bunch of good glass for the EF mount as well, all Canon: 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L, 135mm f/2L, 16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L.

Now part of the reason I was investing in some FD gear was also because I have a micro 4/3 system, and I was hoping to get the GH2 in the near future. I wanted to adapt all of these lenses onto the GH2 for video work as the EF lenses aren't the best because there's no aperture control when off the camera.

So im curious what you guys think would be better in my case. I don't particularly need a high speed AF camera for film anymore, but the durability of an EOS 1 is hard to say no to :wink:.

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course you can go to KEH and see how much the T90 is.

Jeff

3. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If I am not wrong T90 is Luigi Colani design when he was in Japan for 10 years did for them. Colani is may be the number one designer in 20th century and You have one of his designs.
    Google him , see his aircrafts , trains , trucks and you will have a cultural shock.
    If you are selling all of your cameras , why not try a German camera ? Even a good working Russian , Ukranian camera or bigger format one do the job.
    I dont like Japanese cameras and EOS lenses are sometimes good , sometimes very strange , not much different than Nikon.
    look at keh.com and you will find many alternatives.

Umut

4. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow the T90s go for quite a bit on KEH. I'm aware of it's heritage and as I mentioned im quite fond of it. I just wasn't sure if it was worth repairing or replacing.

I think I'll just go ahead and repair it :wink:

5. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe this is off topic here, but I've read that there is a new adapter that have aperture control for EF lens to be used on m43 bodies. I think it's kiron or something. You might want to check www.43rumors.com for details.
    Very sorry if this violates the forum, just want to share.

6. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No I am aware of it, but the mechanical one has a secondary aperture so it's not true control. Also, there is an electronic adapter coming out but to the tune of $700+

7. daveandiputra

daveandiputra Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Blame my ignorance then, only read the announcement in passing. :smile:
    I used an EOS 3, and having handled both the 1v and 5D, the 5D is much closer to the 3 in my opinion, the 1v is way up the league.

8. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not a problem, I appreciate the gesture all the same :smile:

I used to shoot with 2 EOS 3 bodies when I regularly shot film. It was a great camera in its own right, but if I'm going to buy a higher end Canon EOS body I want a 1. I'm spoiled by my 1DmkIII and it's tank-like build.

I think I'm just going to keep the T90 and have it fixed. It's kind of a special camera really. Plus I'm really enjoying all this FD glass, it's so much more compact than my EF lenses!

9. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've owned a T90 (technically I still own it, but it does not fire anymore :cry:) and I an EOS3 (still own it, and it DOES fire).

The EOS3 is a very nice camera (I'm using it with the PBE2 booster) but, IMHO, does not deliver anything (except of course AF) that the T90 did not. Of course, this depends on your usage, but both the metering, motor-drive, exposure modes of the T90 were on par with the EOS, at least for me (I'm using 95% spot metering and manual mode).

I sent the T90 for an estimate, as I might the bullet and get it fixed for when I need a compact camera (amazing to note that the T90 was a "big" camera some years ago, and is now closer to a "compact" one)

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd just repair the T90 and get back to business as usual.

11. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah you guys are right. It'll cost me $125 to have it fixed. All things considered that's not too bad.

12. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How about repairing the T90 and getting the 1V . . . ;-)

13. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now we're talking! Or a 1N.

14. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hahaha I would love to do that and maybe someday I will, but the 1v is still commanding a pricenhigh enough that I'd have to sell something first if i wanted it.

15. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You should be aware, then, that the EOS 1 and 1N are not built any nicer than the 3. I've had all 3 and the difference between them is limited to a little fake leather on the non-grip side of the 1N. If you want something nicer than the 3, you'll need to shell out for a 1V.

16. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah well, that makes sense then :wink: I've had the pleasure of shooting with the 1V so I know how nice it is to work with, I've just never had the pleasure of OWNING one :wink:. That's not to say I didn't like my EOS 3 bodies. They were very dependable and took a beating with minor injuries. I think though realistically, when I do shoot film, I want to take my time and make the shot count, using FD gear would likely be a better facilitator to this purpose!

I appreciate all the responses though guys! Never hurts to nerd out and talk cameras every now and again :wink:

17. Laurent

Laurent Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I finally gave up on fixing the T90, since I could not really justify the expense (I now own only one lens in FD mount, mounted on my newly cla'ed AE1P) and the price would have been dissuasive...

18. agphotography

agphotography Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's going to cost me $125 to repair my T90, which is double what I paid for it in the first place. I'm pretty bummed about it because I didn't even get to enjoy it before having to send it in for repair.

I have some FD lenses that I really quite like at this point, and they work really well on my Micro 4/3 system so I'll probably hang onto it, but I will keep my eyes peeled for a nice 1n or 1v. I know someday I'll find a bargain, but I'm in no rush at this point.

19. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Abram ,

Did you check www.keh.com and www.adorama.com used gear department.

I think every EOS will come very cheap.

I looked to the keh and saw Canon 1 costs 200 , Canon 1n costs 250 or more , Canon 600 , 700 , 800 costs 30 dollars. Only Bodies.
    Canon 3 costs around 300 dollars.

Best ,

Umut
    Istanbul