Repair shop for Sinar LF standard

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by reggie, Oct 17, 2007.

1. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi:

I have a 8x10 standard that needs some repair (the rise\fall know doesn't work, it just turns and clicks without raising the back). Doesn anyone know of a place that can repair this part?

I have found Glenn Evans (glenview.com) in Chicago, but I have never dealt with him. He has a good web-site and specializes in Sinar.

I'd appreciate any pointers. Also, if any experienced Sinar owners have experienced this problem, I'd appreciate hearing your solution.

Thanks.

-R

2. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I talked to Glenn Evans today and he seems like a decent guy. He quoted me $75 to take the part apart and give me a repair estimate. He will send off to Sinar for the part so I might not get it back for aseveral months.

3. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    OK, I think I have this resolved and here is some information for other Sinar users in case you ever need service done.

I contacted Sinar Bron in Edison, NJ and they have a service department and I spoke with Solomon. He is vary familiar with the issue. He said that an upgrade kit is available to replace the plastic gears in some standards with BRASS gears! I must ahve the cheezy plastic gears in what is a fine starndard bearer. The upgrade costs $45 + 1 hour labor ($75). This is dirt cheap for this camera so I'm sending in both standards to get the upgrade. The brass gears will be a big improvement in precision and elimination of backlash.

The parts are in stock (no waiting for the boat from Switzerland) and the turnaround will be 2 weeks at the outside. I am totally psyched. This seems to be the perfect route to go.

Here is the contact infor for Sinar Bron:

(908)754-9186 ext. 222 and ask for Solomon (Martinez I think)
    Sinar Bron
    Attn: Svc Dept
    17 Progress St.
    Edison, NJ 08820

They also service Rollei MF, but I din't know if they service older ones like the SL66.

HTH.

-R

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Eventually, I'll probably have that upgrade done as well (or I might just do it myself). I think the attraction of the plastic gears is that they are smoother, but the brass gear upgrade was offered originally for use with heavier front standard setups on the P and P2 (i.e., large lenses, Sinar shutter, etc.).

5. reggie

reggie Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I got a call from the Sinar service dept and my 2 standards are ready to return to me. They alwo replaced 3 bubble levels. The repairs took less than a week - I am very pleased with the service. I should have them back next week and I'll make a post and let you know what I think of the quality of work.

-R

6. Logan Group

Logan Group Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you don't mind me asking how much did the bubble levels cost? I was quoted $45 per from a repair facility in TX.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've ordered the levels directly from SinarBron, and the price depends on the level. Some were around $40 and one was around $20. I suspect it probably just has to do with how long the particular level you need has been in stock.