REPAIR TO MAMIYA C3 TLR

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by kfleming, Feb 13, 2008.

1. kfleming

kfleming Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a repair shop with expertise in fixing the older Mamiya C3 TLR?

I'm having film advance problems with this newly purchased camera. It had been stored unused for a good number of years. My reasons for getting it were part G.A.S. and part sentiment. I had an identical one back in 1966 during a happy time before shipping out to an infantry unit in Vietnam.

As mentioned above, the camera has film advance problems, but may only need a CLA. As a test, it worked fine with two empty spools in the camera. With film (or a spool with only backing paper) it advances properly for a few frames, but then the film advance will keep turning until the film is completely off the spool.

I realize I could just put this camera on the shelf as a souvenir and use another camera to make photographs. It may come to that, but it sure would be nice to get the old camera working properly.

Thanks for any advice you have on a repair shop with expertise with the C3.

Kfleming

2. mongo141

mongo141 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Jimmy Koh, at Koh's Camera...Has done excellent work for me or Photography on Bald Mountain.. Dave

3. RMD

RMD Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The problem may be caused by the shutter release sticking, i.e. not returning before you wind the film. When the release is depressed, you can wind the film right to the end. If so, a simple cleaning and lubrication of the mechanism will help.

4. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Where are you located?

5. kfleming

kfleming Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm out on the Olympic Peninsula of Washington, not far from Seattle (as the crow flies, but it's 2.5 hours via road and ferry). There are camera repair facilities in Seattle, but my original post reflects the fact I'm leery of their expertise with older gear. For example, a few years ago one company told me they no longer worked on Nikon F's because the only staffer who knew anything about them had retired. However, Thanks to the Internet and the experience of members of APUG, it's possible to locate the repair shops that still have the requisite expertise.

RMD: Thanks for that tip about the shutter release. I'll look for that.

Mongo141: Thanks for the steer toward Koh's.

kfleming

6. kfleming

kfleming Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've also learned that Carol Miller (Flutot's Camera Repair, Whittier, CA), who is highly respected by the large format community for her work on shutters, also works on Mamiya TLR's, including the C3. Since I already planned to ship an Ilex shutter to her, I will send the C3 also. My thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

Keith

7. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keith,

Does the exposure counter work properly, or does it stay on "0"? Do you have the Roll Film/Sheet or Multiple Exp selector set on "Roll Film"? Is the mirror/lens locked or unlocked? Also, is the back cover interlock engaged?

It took me a good two hours fiddling with these interlocks/failsafes before my C33 would work (advance the film one frame at a time and allow the shutter to release). My only problem now is that I'm shedding back cover, gasket foam.

- Terry

8. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My 330s and 220 and some lenses were fixed by a retired repairman living near Ramstein/Landstuhl air base in Germany. It was cheap, a perfect job. Of course, this is quite far away, and I understand perfectly if you don't want to be even close to a military installation any more.

But there is another story: you are not alone with that sentimental feeling about your first camera. The same guy that repaired my Mamiyas also fixed the Contarex that was my father's last and my first camera. This beast is extremely difficult to repair, even a CLA is only for experts. I will get the camera back in a few days and will be more than happy to give it to my daughter, aged 21. After taking some photos with it, of course... bu she will get my M6 only from my cold dead hands... :D

9. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Obtw, I just found out that it will cost $35 to remove and replace the gasket/seal.

Terry

10. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your proposal has been accepted.

*L*

tim (in black) in san jose

13. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi kfleming
    If you get in to Seattle, I have used Cameratechs in Ballard. I don't know if they have expertise with the Mamiya TLR's, but they do great work on my Hassablads. I live on Vashon so it is only a 40 min trip for me.
    Michael

15. kfleming

kfleming Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael,

Thanks for that recommendation for CameraTechs. I haven't used them, but in the past I have checked out their website for their list of used equipment.
    I looked at it again tonight after reading your post, and noted the long list of used Hasselblad gear they have for sale. Looks like they have a deep involvement with Hasselblad users.

I decided to ship the C3 to Carol Miller since I also had an Ilex shutter that needed some work.

As for Seattle, we do go over there to visit family. We have to plan, however, on a 2 to 2.5 hour trip each way. We can either drive all the way down to Olympia and then north to Seattle, or we can drive to Bainbridge Island or Kingston and take a ferry. Each option takes about the same amount of time--but the ferry sure is a lot more fun and relaxing.

Keith

16. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I know what you mean, the boat ride really breaks up my commute. I work in Lakewood (SW of Tacoma) and live on the north end of Vashon. That 15 min ferry ride helps decompress.:smile:
    Michael

17. yellowjeep

yellowjeep Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Sorry to revive an old thread with my first post but I had a few questions.
    I checked the sites recommended in this thread and emailed a few as well. Does anybody have a recommendation of somewhere I could source a film advance lever and a WLF. I watch the big auction site like it might run away, but I would like to find something that I can buy immediately.

kfleming, Did you get your C3 back? How did it turn out? Carol Miller's prices seem pretty reasonable, I wish she wasn't back logged.

On a side note. Jon Goodman sells a great product and he is a great guy to talk to. I owe him a few kudos for being more than helpful.

18. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yellowjeep (a Willys?),

Welcome to APUG as well as the Jon Goodman appreciation thread. Unfortunately all my C-3, C-33 links/resources are stuck in my dead Mac.

Terry

19. yellowjeep

yellowjeep Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    AMC CJ-5

Thats a bummer.

20. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The AMC Jeep seem so analog.

21. kfleming

kfleming Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yellow Jeep,

My C3 is still at Flutot's, but I'm happy to wait until Carol gets better and can work on her backlog. Everything she has worked on for me has been returned in outstanding condition. She's a treasure to this community.

Keith Fleming

22. yellowjeep

yellowjeep Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Keith, I am fairly new to all of this and I had no idea she was not well. I hope she gets better and I look forward to hearing about your results.