Replaced camera leather, anyone?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Loose Gravel, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Have any of you replaced your camera leather? I'm looking at cameraleather.com and it looks nice. Did it work out? Easy? Quality?

Thanks.

2. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny you should post this. I just received my old M2 back from cameraleather today with a spiffy verdigris goatskin covering on it. It looks great!! I let them do it since they have all the experience with removal of old vulcanite from camera bodies. The extra cost was pretty reasonable.

3. dbseney

dbseney Subscriber

I got a replacement leather kit for my M4 from Cameraleather and put it on myself per thier instructions. The hardest part was cleaning off the old vulcanite, but it was very doable. I should add that I am not usually very adept at this sort of thing, but would do it again, and, in fact am looking to recover a Rollei 2.8F with another one of thier kits.

4. gregseto

gregseto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Depending on your camera, it could be very easy or very hard. I sent Morgan (at cameraleather) my F2 so he could get the pattern down- he sent it back to me with new leather on. I eventually had to take it off and put it on another F2...anyway, its much easier than regluing your original leather- he uses little adhesive strips that are quite strong.

5. geraldatwork

geraldatwork Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I only hear good things about them on other forums, mostly from people on a Leica forum. I purchased covering for my Minolta Autocord TLR and it fit perfectly and looks good. The only negative is you have to keep after Morgan for delivery. He gets busy and a little bit of the "squeaky wheel" theory applies. But from posts of dozens of people I've never heard a bad word.

The hardest part of the process is usually completely taking the old covering off not putting the new on.

6. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've done 2 Nikon FM bodies with their leather kits - fast, easy, and a great fit. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.