Replacement Batterys

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by benjiboy, Oct 3, 2005.

1. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The question I have occured to me today, when the PX27 mercury battery of my Minox 35 GT packed up, and I replaced it with two 1/3n lithium ones. If Mercury is dangerous, which I know it is, why is Lithium safer ? Isn't Lithium a heavy metal, and retained in the bones like Ceasium, and Strotium and just as bad for us ?

2. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lithium is the lightest metal, atomic number 3. It's the prime component in one of the major drugs that fights bipolar disorder, lithium carbonate (discovered after lithium saccharin was used in Diet 7-Up shortly after cyclamates were banned). It is chemically similar to sodium and potassium, not calcium, and thus is not retained in the bones.

All batteries should be disposed of as specified by your local solid waste authority, but lithium won't leach into groundwater and poison your great-grandkids if a few of the batteries go to a landfill, the way mercury, cadmium, and lead can.

BTW, even strontium and cesium are hazardous mainly in their radioactive forms -- they're so rare in the environment you'd never notice them in your bones unless they were continously dosing you with alpha particles, and the only significant source of the radioactive forms is nuclear fission.

3. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    No, Lithium isn't a heavy metal. Its atomic number is 3 and its atomic weight is 6.9 g/mole. Some of it's nearest neighbors on the periodic table are sodium and magnesium. As to why Lithium is safer, I don't know.

4. joeyk49

joeyk49 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wish I paid more attention in HS Chemistry...geez, Donald! I'll bet you didn't look a lick of that up, either...

Humbled,

Joe

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys,for your erudite and interesting replies to what was just an idle thought.

6. Donald Qualls

Donald Qualls Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sigh.

Caught. (hangs head)

7. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also open your PX27 and take the cells out, replace them by 4X LR42/385 silver oxide batteries and presto!
    The 2X 1/3N is .5mm too long but if it worked in yours ..