Replacement for Plus-X 120 for snow shots.

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by brianmquinn, Aug 5, 2012.

1. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was a big fan of Plus-X for snow, light sand and other shots where I wanted to have highlight detail but also had some darker objects in the photo. Like a skier in darker clothing. I would always pull process myself (4 min Xtol + 4 min water soak, ie soft stop for Diafine like compensation) and usually could get a nice straight print with my technique.

Who has a film and developer technique for this type of subject matter that they have used and works well for them?
    Maybe someone that shoots weddings where the bride is in white and the man in black?
    In the past I have tested Fp4+, Acros , Fomapan 100 and Plus-X side by side. Plus-X won but there are dozens of different times, developers and film combinations that I can test out. I would prefer to start with a combo that someone has working for them.

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    XP2?

3. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I shoot my weddings and portraits on XP2 or Delta 3200 if it's B&W

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Almost any 100 ISO film is a good replacement for Plux-X there's already a long thread about this.

I've used Tmax 100 many tumes in the conditions you're mentioning although these fays I use Delta 100 instead, and also Delta 400 in 120.

Ian

5. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    XP2 sounds like a good thing for me to try out. I am not set up for C-41 right now and would like to develop myself but if is makes the printing easier it would be worth it.

6. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes XP2 is well worth a try, I love it but not everybody does.

Easy to shoot with too.

I was playing around yesterday and set my incident meter to an EI of 100 and took a reading pointed straight at the sun then dialed that into the camera. Basically this is a highlight peg. (My incident meter indicated a three stop difference for backlit vs front lit do pretty high contrast.)

Ran off the roll at that setting regardless of where I was pointing the camera.

Developed it last night, the negatives look beautiful. Nice detail in the shadows and highlights.