Replacement Rivet for Packard Shutter

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by R Shaffer, Jun 3, 2009.

1. R Shaffer

R Shaffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have a packard shutter that I recently acquired that needs to have one of the small shutter blade rivets replaced. It appears that this may have been a previous repair that was installed too tightly.

Any ideas on where I might be able to get one of these? I have already tried smallparts.com and they only have solid rivets this small, no tubular rivets.

I attached a photo of one of my other packards to show the rivet.

TIA

Rob

Attached Files:

2. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you know the size? I googled "tubular rivets" and there a several suppliers, but not knowing the size...

3. R Shaffer

R Shaffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ciao Bob,

Not exactly certain, but it appears to be about 1/16" in diameter. When I measured the combined thickness the shutter blades it was 1/16", so it needs a grip length of a bit more than that.

When I searched the web last night, I found quite a few wholesale type sites, but no retail. McMaster had solid copper rivets 1/16" diameter, but that may be difficult for me to install.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. R Shaffer

R Shaffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I did not think of the obvious. Just shot an email to packard shutter, so well see what we hear back.

6. TracyStorer

TracyStorer Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
  7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks tracy,

it seems that the folks at hub have sold to these folks ...

john

8. R Shaffer

R Shaffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    WOW, talk about a fast reply. I already heard back from Reno @ packard shutter company. Quite reasonable to have him repair shutter. I love to tinker with my LF gear, so it's not an easy decision.

9. R Shaffer

R Shaffer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fixed it!!!
    I was able to gently pry the squashed edge of the rivet up. I used a piece of sheet metal to protect the blades & held the pin down with a small screw driver. Worked my way around rivet several times with my pocket knife. Then I pressed down the blades from the opposite side with a small fender washer, rivet in the middle. That gave the one blade enough room to move freely. Works like a champ.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

10. B&Jdude

B&Jdude Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Congrats on the DIY repair, Rob. If you ever do need any work done by Packard Shutter, Reno Farinelli is a great guy to deal with and does a wonderful job refurbishing old worn Packards. They come back freshly painted, and are just like new mechanically as well. The cost is a bargain, too. He refurbed several for me and sent back my "new" shutters for about 1/3 the new price.

Smiff

11. greybeard

greybeard Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll second the opinion on Reno; he's a good guy to deal with. It's nice when the guy who will do the work is also the one who answers the phone when you call!