Replenish or 1:1

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by presspass, Jul 25, 2012.

1. presspass

presspass Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Some years ago, I used X-tol replenished in a Kodak hard rubber tank. That worked well, but I was doing 12-15 rolls of Tri-X a week. Now I'm down to about 5 a week and don't want to use the hard rubber tanks - they take up too much room. Can I replenish using the working solution in a 1 ltr. bottle or do I have to have a larger amount of working solution? Is replenishment a good idea with this volume of film, or would 1:1 and discard work better? Thanks.

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes 1-liter works fine.

Yes it's a good idea.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd use 2 or 2.5 litres as it would be more consistent than 1 litre, but 1 will work. Far better than 1+1.

Ian

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The two liter working solution will not handicap you if you do 5 rolls a week. While I used to do a lot more, nowadays my average is about one roll a week, and the two liter solution works beautifully for that, and is very consistent. I vote for replenished.

If you want to use diluted Xtol stock as single shot, I recommend using it 1+3, as it is the closest to replenished Xtol in tonality (but has longer developing time).

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What size are your developing tanks?

I use HC110 in a replenishment regime. I use a 1.25 litre bottle to hold my working solution, because in at least one configuration my tanks take 600 ml, and this permits using two developing tanks at the same time.

I prefer the 1.25 litre bottle to the 2 litre versions, because I have very little storage space for mixed chemistry, and the 2 litre bottles are too tall :sad:

6. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would use 1:1 and discard and this may make you more discerning to cut down to even less than 5 a week.