Req - Photo locations around Ross on Wye

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by FrankB, Apr 13, 2007.

1. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The APUG UK Gathering for Spring 2007 is happening next weekend around and about Ross on Wye.

Does anyone know of any specific locations in the area which are especially photogenic?

Any help would be much appreciated!

All the best,

Frank

2. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've just done a bit of googling .....

Tintern Abbey is about 28 mins away from ROW according to Maporama

Goodrich Castle seems to be quite close by too

I cant find any particularly picturesque stone circles in the area on themodernantiquarian.com (that's probably a good thing for everyone else)

3. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  4. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    lol - I'm not too sure about the "CiderCycling" - my experience of cider is that the 2 activities do NOT mix well (mind you that also involved a stag-night, Rochester highstreet pub-crawl and the cycle was of the uni-wheeled variety - you get the picture ....)

5. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the birthplace of the picturesque. Expect roses round every doorway and fair dimpled maidens gazing dewy-eyed into the middle distance at every crossroads. Milk churns and canvas smocks as far as the eye can see.

www.wyenot.com has specifics.

Symonds Yat and Raglan Castle are two places I have been where I would happily spend a day with a camera. The bluebells might be out in the Forest of Dean, and for spring nature in general you can get clues from the local wildlife trust. For Herefordshire see here.

http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/hereford/reserves/rmap.htm

Similar trusts exist for neighbouring counties.

Don't miss the cider, although it's best to drink it *after* reloading film holders.

6. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All of a sudden the good turnout for this Gathering starts to make sense.

(...and I'm not talking about the roses!)

:D

Thanks for the recommendations, Struan. Much appreciated.

7. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I seem to remember that advanced sabre skills are required to turn these girl's heads, or perhaps that's only in Wessex. Anyway, I suspect that even a 20x24 is unlikely to measure up.

Hereford Cathedral is worth a drive, but were it me I suspect I would be most happy pottering around the local countryside and photographing what turns up. Get some OS maps and go for a ramble.

8. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    LLanthony Abbey, Black Mountains, river wye, rolling farmland, apple orchards in bloom, the SAS training camp in Pontrilas (go-on, I dare anyone to try takeing photos around there), Kilpeck church, May Hill, Malvern Hills, Ledbury, black and white farmhouses, BT Earth Station in Madley (Large saterlite reciever dishes). Anyone got any thing in particular you are after?

(I spent the first 17 years of my life in Herefordshire)

9. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A guide? :wink:

10. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd love to help, but sadly I'll be walking amoung the mountains of Norway at the time!

11. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh well, we'll have to see if we can enlist a fair, dimpled, dewy-eyed maiden (if we can find one without a sabre fetish!). :D

12. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. A.C.

A.C. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Following the current line of thought - subject matter, that is - with some trepidation - if anyone likes the idea (no Dave, not your Sunday one in the main post...) I have previously spent a pleasant time on the Neadd river. powerful (if difficult) water...falls or river generally, with salmon trout..

14. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I won't be there but I'd second Llanthony Abbey. It's less well-known than Tintern and was very quiet the day I went. It is in beautiful surroundings. The church nearby was open and I was able to set up a mini tripod for inside shots without hassle.

pentaxuser

15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Every time a UK meet is arranged I'm working, the same day.

This ones no exception, while your out in the landscape I'll be shooting a Rock Concert which starts 3pm :smile:

Just get into the Forest of Dean, it's wonderful, full of amazing landscapes, and all reasonably close to Ross on Wye. Unfortunately the Forestry Commission destroyed a lot of the remains Fay Godwin photographed but you don't need to look hard to find alternatives.

Lydney, but make sure you go to the Dock area is excellent, look for the skeletons of boats Fay photographed.

Have fun

Ian

16. Sandeha Lynch

Sandeha Lynch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got lost somewhere along the previous post on the topic ... where are the bulk of you meeting, and what setting-out time is on the slate for Saturday morning?

Fingers crossed for good weather.

17. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Unless of course you're accustomed to more dramatic landscapes. My own garden is more precipitous than Symonds Yat, and the view far better. :tongue::surprised:

But the whole of Wye Valley can be used as an illustration of "picturesque".:smile:

18. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Sandeha,

Here's a link to the page with all of the information re where we'll be staying and meeting up on Friday evening - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum137/33305-apug-uk-spring-2007-gathering-12.html

Setting out time on Saturday / Sunday mornings generally depends on the weather, the quality of the breakfast and how much ale we consumed the night before! :wink: Likewise, venues and times will probably be cobbled together as we go along. Sorry, but I can't be more precise than that!

If you're serious about trying to meet up with us then PM me and we can exchange mobile numbers. Best I can do I'm afraid!

All the best,

Frank

19. Sandeha Lynch

Sandeha Lynch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Frank ... PM sent.

20. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. A.C.

A.C. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never thought to ask - are APUG-ers generally going to bring gear that can be carried far?
    The Neadd is actually quite a way from our base (now I've looked - should have done that before...) and kit carrying will be needed, possibly on uneven terrain riverside.
    Until Friday afternoon, then.
    Do we all have to wear a pink Nikon badge, carry a rolled-up digital photo magazine or something??
    Aynsley

22. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi A.C.

People's loadouts (and ambulatory tolerances) vary widely from young, fit and healthy individuals carrying nice light rangefinders to unfit, decrepit slapheads with C330S and Manfrotto 055's (that'll be me!).

We try and mostly keep broadly together (turbocharged camper-vans aside!) and so tend to favour locations which combine nearby parking facilities with excellent photographic opportunities... ...and conveniently situated public houses!

A moderate stroll shouldn't be too much of a problem though. I'd just chuck the location in the hat and see how many people like the sound of it.

Finding our party shouldn't be an issue - I think we've got the hotel pretty much to ourselves!

All the best,

Frank

23. A.C.

A.C. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank, thanks for that - I tend towards the 055/C330 end of the description!
    "Ambulatory tolerances"?? - wow...!
    Aynsley

24. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Never use a short word when a polysyllabic alternative presents itself.