Rescue BBQed lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by highpeak, Aug 31, 2005.

1. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Did something stupid, don’t ask why.

Last weekend, I painful found that shooting BBQ smoke and fire at a close distance is not a good thing to do, because you will end up with a thin layer of oil on the lens! I tried to use lens cleaning fluid to get rid of it, but didn’t success.

Please let me know that you guys have other ways to deal with it otherwise I have to say bye-bye to my lovely lens :sad:

Thanks.

2. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try some Ponds Cold Cream. Put a healthy amount on some lens tissue and - gently - smear it on the lens. Let it sit for a few minutes and then carefully wipe it off. Follow that with a "normal" cleaning with lens cleaner and tissue. That usually takes 99% of fungus off a lens, and if it will take that off, it'll take off just about anything. BTW - I've done this and NOT damaged coatings...

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Common dishwashing soap - not the machine kind, but the liquid soao you use when washing by hand. One drop in a little water, wash gently, then pure water, and let dry. I learned this from my optician: He had tried just about every product there is, and Zalo diswashing iquid is the best. So he's stopped stocking lens cleaning stuff!

4. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll second Ole's advice. All is not lost.

Pete

5. highpeak

highpeak Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys!

Dish washing soap is easy to find, I am going to try that. Is lemon flavored alright? :smile:

Alex