Rescue Thermometer - any hope?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Monito, May 24, 2011.

1. Monito

Monito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Kodak Colour thermometer which has got a big line of fluid at the very top of the scale and a big line of blank space in the middle -- due to years of neglect, probably sitting at the wrong angle or cross-country travel at the wrong angle, etc.

I put it in the freezer and then when it warmed up, it now has several disconnected lines and the big line at the top seems unchanged.

I have two other thermometers: a Paterson and an Omega that agree to a half degree C.

Should I just dispose of the Kodak? The fluid seems blue. Can it just be thrown out without special handling?

2. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may be able to revive the Kodak thermometer by arranging to spin it and let centrifugal force do the work. Spin it so that the bulb end is farthest out and well supported. Blue thermometer fluid is probably colored alcohol and should be safe for the general trash, though.

3. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All it needs is to be heated just enough to drive the fluid to the top and reconnect the gaps. Theres a slight bulb at the top for expansion but still be careful not to overheat.

4. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It originally came with instructions to fix this. Place it in a dish of water and place that on the stove set on low. Watch it carefully as it slowly heats up and remove it from the heat once all air bubbles are at the top. Keep it in the water, but let them cool to room temperature. This pdf has instructions. It is for a is different model, but it works the same.

Attached Files: