Reticulation

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by roy, Oct 18, 2002.

1. roy

roy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Following a darkroom mishap, I have a reticulated 120 film. I would rather it were not so and therefore wonder whether it is possible to minimise the effect by applying or soaking the film in gelatin I use for alt.process paper. Any opinions please and strengths of liquid.

2. William Levitt

William Levitt Member

I cannot imagine that having any effect on the structure/texture of the image. You might susceed in making the negative thicker overall, but not much more.

But it looks like it's up to you Roy to give it a shot and keep us informed. Funny though, usually there are questions from people looking to achieve reticulation and not repair it... [​IMG]

3. avandesande

avandesande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe you could cut off the ends and experiment before you commit your roll...

4. David Vickery

David Vickery Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello, I am curious if you have tried this. It seems to me that since the gelatin is supposed to be optically pure, adding more would make no difference. What you need is a way to move the original gelatin back to the way it was when the film was first exposed. I don't know of any way to do that.

5. gainer

gainer Subscriber

The worst thing about this reticulation is that the gelatin, when it cracks and shrinks, carries grain particles with it. Filling in the cracks with clear gelatin might help, but I expect that the deformation of the grain patterns would remain, with the result that the negative would still have the appearance of very coarse grain. OTOH i don't see that you have much to lose by trying.

Pat Gainer