retouching analog prints

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by cs_foto, Mar 25, 2010.

1. cs_foto

cs_foto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, I've been retouching for the first time, with colour retouching dyes and I find it a bit difficult. any tips or links to websites with info/tutorials/tips?

thanks!

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I prefer using Spottone for retouching, but unfortunately it is no longer made. The secret it to use a #000 brush (triple zero size). Do not use it like a paint brush, but instead use it to slowly dab or place dots of retouching fluid in the offending spot. This is way the action is called "spotting." You should slowly build up the density of the spot to match the surrounding area of the print instead of trying to match the tone all in one spot. Presently I use Marshall's neutral black. Henry Horenstein's book on basic B&W photography has a good chapter that addresses spotting.

3. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd be interested too. My first attempt was slightly abysmal.

Match colors like you do color printing. fix/dry a white sheet of paper, so you can make spots of color on it. compare those to the color you need and add colors until you reach the desired shade.

4. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  5. cs_foto

cs_foto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is a very nice paper, thanks a lot!