Retro & Silverprint not answering phone.....

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Matt5791, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please don't tell me they are already on holiday!!

I desparately want some 5X7 film before Christmas.

Retro have the Adox line which seem reallly good value, but they are just not answering the phone of responding to emails.

Silverprint have FP4 listed, which is more expensive, but they are not answering either.

Seems odd because both pay for full page ads. in Black & White Photography - seems like rather a waste of advertising budget.

Looks like I will have to buy some of the more expensive FP4 Calumet claim to have in stock.

Matt

2. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep trying Silverprint - they often do not answer the 'phone the first few tries when busy...

Good luck, Bob.

3. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt,
    Have you tried 7dayshop yet? I know they do 5x4, but they might do 5x7 as well. Worth a try?

4. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that.

I got through to Silverprint, but unfortunately they dont have any 5X7 at all in anything.

I have already looked at 7 day, but they dont list it - any I find their delivery times a bit hit and miss.

Linhof Studio however have Bergger 200 and 400 on the shelf - not a film I am familiar with, but sounds good quality and interesting.

Anyone else had experience of these emulsions?

Thanks,
    Matt

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Bergger films are actually Forte and expensive.

You can buy film direct from Fotoimpex in Berlin its cheaper, the post is fast from Germany, my last order was delivered within 24hrs. Fotoimpex stock EFKE and Forte films, They sell EFKE as SAdox and Forte as classic pan.

BTW you have seen prints shot on EFKE 25 and Classic Pan 200, the cornish tin mine images etc, the 10x8 neg I showed you was EFKE 25.

http://www.fotoimpex.de/anglicus/FILME/FILME.html

Ian

6. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that Ian - interesting on the Bergger origins.

I remember the tin mine etc. and the neg - interesting.

I will check out Fotoimpex - is it best to phone up or go online to actually place an order?

7. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Matt,

Around six months ago I asked Fotoimpex, on their forum, if they would post to the UK, they have a large catalogue. They referred me to Retrophotographic, even though Retro did not normally stock the items I wanted to purchase. I tried Retro but they were very reticent to supply 'off catalogue'. I did get one item but it took several weeks. I would contact Fotoimpex by email or telephone before placing an order.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2006
  8. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd endorse Bob F comments. If all other avenues fail then if you can, try leaving the phone on dial while you do other things nearby. At least with Silverprint you aren't connected to Musak while it costs you money waiting.

pentaxuser

9. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about Morco? They are normally pretty good...

10. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have never phoned retro but ordering off the website is usually pretty efficient (well, as efficient as the post office, which is random where I live, especially as the postman doesnt understand numbers). There arent a lot of people in the uk with 5x7 on the shelf. Kingsley Photographic (Tottenham Ct Rd, London) will get any Ilford product in a week, but I think their order date is Monday lunchtime so you might be too late for Christmas. Linhof studio probably the best bet, or Germany.

11. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have to say that I emailed Retro some months ago with a peper query and never received a reply.

12. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That could be because they don't sell peper's. :D

13. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    pepers made from Scottish malt work very well. The development time varies a little depending on mood but they produce very warm tones and wonderful highlights. Archivally they are rubbish. All the pep has gone by the next morning and you find yourself wishing that you'd never bought the package.

Somehow you get over the disappointment and always try again. Works for me.

pentaxuser

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. roy

roy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doesn't prevent them from telling me !

16. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, you must have spoken to their new Polish assistant... :wink:

17. vickersdc

vickersdc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These comments about Retrophotographic are very interesting... I ordered 2 boxes of Rollei Retro 400 over the phone two weeks ago. After a week of waiting I rang them up and was told that they had made an error and had not put the order against my name and address - it would be sorted out and sent. Very nearly a week later and I rang again, only to be told that he hadn't sent it (kind of obvious really). I explained that I was none too happy and had expected it to be sent on the previous Friday and the reply was "...well, I f**ked up...". Great customer service! He did say that the package should be arriving today - which it did - but with only ONE of the TWO boxes that I ordered. I note that The full amount for two boxes has been cashed and the delivery note just says "1 more to follow", with no explanation as to when or why.

Not entirely sure I'll be dealing with Retro again - it was a lot less hassle when I ordered my film from the U.S.!

Dave.

18. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi Dave !
    I've exactly the opposite opinion on nigel business.
    I ordered Adox 200 and 400 sheet film some times ago.
    I got the exact amount but alas of Adox 200. I emailed them, and a few days after I get the Adox 400 I missed. Asking if I should return the extra 200 I was told to keep it for free...
    Some month after, I ordered a lot of things among them where a Paterson Orbital and some raw chemicals.
    The package was " a little rough handled" to say the least.
    Nigel offered to replace the Paterson Orbital motor (which I was able to fix, the motor having been pushed out of the plastic housing without more damage...)
    So, as usual, YMMV ;-)

19. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    me too-I've ordered piles of stuff from them in the last couple of years and nary a problem.

20. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use Retro alot and have never had a problem with them... (Touching wood)

21. Fanshaw

Fanshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Retrophotographic

I have dealt once with Retrophotographic, but never again. I bought some cheap Tasma film plus some Classic Pan and a bottle of developer. The film was said to be reduced in price because of non-attachment of the film to the spool. They claimed that there was 'nothing wrong with the film itself'. What they didn't say was that the film was nearly three years out of date. The developer bore a manufacturer's use by date 12 months ago. The Classic pan was supplied without cartons and with no 'use-by' date, which made me wonder how old it was.
    When I complained,I got no apology, just an instruction to send the goods back for refund. It seems that 'Retro' applies to their customer service as well as their products.

22. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I remember the offer, did you get a full refund?
    For myself my one minor complaint was dealt with very promptly.

23. digiconvert

digiconvert Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did get an order 'screwed up' (their phrase not mine) but they put it right pretty quickly - I got a pack of incorrectly sent 16 x 10 print sleeves for free ut of it all. I also have had R09 developer which was out of date - but with that stuff it hardly seems to be a problem, seems to keep forever even when opened.
    I like Retro's approach to ensuring the more obscure products are kept alive and we have a chance to try them out, I can forgive the odd inconvenience for that reason.

24. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never had any problems at all with Retro myself - they have always been helpful and accomodating.

25. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd ordered chemicals from Retro before this incident and been completely satisfied. A couple of months ago i ordered some raw chemicals from Retro - i was experimenting with kallitypes and needed to make some ferric oxalate. Part of the order was 100 gms of oxalic acid. The other items were fine, but the oxalic acid pot was just under half full. More interestingly, a letter from another customer was stuck inside the box - iirc he'd ordered some chemistry and been sent the wrong product - which doesn't really inspire confidence in Retro.

I sent back the oxalic acid for topping up, and the other customer's letter, and received the full amount - i think he'd put over 100 gms in - a few days later.

I'd be happy to order from him again, as everyone's entitled to one mistake. If it happenned on a regular basis i'd be less happy.

26. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree it's annoying when orders are wrong. I've made three large orders from Silverprint in the last few months, and two contained mistakes (the invoice and my payment was as it should have been). However, both mistakes were acknowledged and dealt with immediately and I was supplied with the missing goods by next day delivery. In one case I was not asked to return the (small) incorrect pack of paper, and so I didn't, and ended up with a little 'extra' for my trouble. The other case was unfortunate, as I had to meet a deadline, but luckily I had a fall-back position.

I wonder if this is an inevitable part of using small-scale suppliers who cater for many different individual orders. Human error is bound to be more common here, as every order is different. I prefer it to dealing with the 'mass' market though (and after all we've not got the choice here).

Although at the moment I do kind of feel it's a case of "three strikes and your out" - where would I go? The small suppliers have to work hard to be efficient as is possible, and not take advantage of the fact that they have more or less cornered a 'niche' market. And we should expect nothing less, but probably at the same time be willing to tolerate an inevitable small degree of human error.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007