Return to Film Bootcamp on Monhegan Island, ME - September 2014

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by iogdka, Jan 9, 2014.

1. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    [TABLE="class: outer_border, width: 800"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"] 10498197043_deaaa10712.jpg [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Return to Film Bootcamp
    on Monhegan Island, ME
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"] 5846806174_aa5ec574d0.jpg [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Monday Sept 8th through Friday, Sept 12th, 2014

Workshop Description

This Monday to Friday workshop offers the beginning to intermediate film-based photographer an intense immersion into the basic and advanced processes for film photography with basic tools and without a darkroom. You’ll explore materials, methods, and expressive approaches through a series of guided, hands-on challenges designed to increase your technical ability and visual awareness. Take part in classroom exercises, studio sessions and field work in stunning locations 10 miles out to sea on beautiful Monhegan Island, Maine. The workshop will include lecture, interactive discussions and projects, and an independent project you’ll design and execute yourself under the guidance and encouragement of the instructor. This will be a hands-on class. This workshop will focus on creating black and white film images.

Go to http://www.davidaimone.com/workshops for more details.

Attached Files:

2. momus

momus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wish people would speak plain, concise, and clear English. I really don't get any of this.

3. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What exactly don't you understand? We're going to be learning how to shoot with black and white film cameras and process without a darkroom for 5 days on a beautiful island.

Constructive criticism would be appreciated more than a generalized negative comment.

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I too had difficulties in understanding what this workshop is about. The problem with your description is that it is very generalized.

5. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I can only assume you are going to use a Jobo for darkroom less processing of various formats?

6. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bob,

Jobo and Paterson tanks mostly. We'll be using mostly medium and large format cameras; developing in daylight tanks; scanning and printing negatives on an inkjet or contact printing with an alternative process.

I am in the process of writing a more specific syllabus, but I guess I need to go back and re-write the main paragraph with smaller words....

7. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    That is a smart way to run a workshop, just need a loading room and basic chemical.

good luck.

Bob

8. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Bob, it should be a blast!

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This would neat. So would Photostock. Still, I'll keep an eye on the calendar and the pocketbook.

10. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So, here's a bit more detail, and I will be updating the pdf syllabus on my web site soon!

We will use 35mm, medium and large format cameras to take photos on Monhegan Island, while learning the basics of film photography—from loading cameras and selecting film through film development to film scanning and printing via inkjet and alternative contact print processes like VanDyke Brown. Instead of a darkroom, we'll be using daylight tanks to process film in the studio on the island. Only the loading of film holders and daylight tanks will have to be done in the dark.
    Alternating with the learning basic theory of film photography and working in the "darkroom", we will take daily hikes to the extraordinary locations that Monhegan Island provides.

11. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    And finally, here is the Syllabus with more information.

Any questions, please contact me. Thanks to moms and Agx for helping me to clarify what this workshop is about. :smile:

Pass the word along...

12. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hope cash arrives in time for this.

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't think I understand this either, shouldn't this be posted on DPUG?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Michael R 1974

Michael R 1974 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Stone, isn't this perfect for you? Develop film, no darkroom?

Painters like Hopper, Jamie Wyeth and others found inspiration on Monhegan. From a photography perspective, George Tice has done wonderful work there.

16. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just thought Stone was being sarcastic....

Anyway, thanks Michael. I go back to the island every year now that my brother, an artist, has a place there. Great variety of locations and ever changing conditions on that small island 10 miles out to sea!

We are converting the first floor of his house from a store to a studio/gallery this spring. No darkroom but it should be a great place to work out of with lots of work space. I'm going to leave the agenda flexible to take advantage of the best outdoor conditions, while spending the rest of the time working in the studio-- discussing, developing, scanning and printing.

We'll be developing with caffenol, pyrocat and maybe Rodinal. Beside developing, I'll have a scanner, an inkjet printer and we'll use the sun for a uv light source with van dykes. We may even produce a digital negative or two if we have the time.

I will have medium and large format cameras and film, as well as pinhole cameras at both sizes.

2716374697_3c310616e7_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Haha, well, Maine is really quite beautiful. But I can go there on my own, and this particular setup wouldn't really help me at all, as that's what I normally do, develop my own in a Paterson, and I send my scanned images to a printer to have them light-jet printed, not ink jet...

18. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, yes and no, because it's a hybrid process workshop, it does belong in DPUG doesn't it?

You aren't printing optically, so this kind of discussion is off topic for APUG, or that's my understanding but I could be wrong, I get confused about all that.

Sounds like a fun weekend but I would do it more because it would be fun to shoot WITH other photographers but I couldn't afford it at that price and I don't see what I personally would gain from it since I do all that in my kitchen normally.

I'm sure for someone just starting out this would be a great learning experience.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The alternative process people using film negatives and the sun are pretty analogue.

The rest? We can pretend we didn't read that part of the description :D.

20. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Seriously? If someone shoots and develops film, but they don't make prints with an enlarger, they're not welcome here on APUG?

Wow! That eliminates most of today's best film photographers out there...most use hybrid techniques to some extent.

21. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Also, I post this here on APUG knowing that many who will read it are at a level where they don't <need> this workshop. But maybe some do, and others could pass it along to someone they know who has been interested in film but hasn't taken the plunge or has only dipped their toes in the water. Either way, it is a chance to promote film photography and to work with others in a beautiful place far from the distractions of the "real" world.

I'm pretty excited about how good this workshop will be. Since I'm limiting it to 5 attendees, and my expenses are significant to do it on the island, I actually won't be making a lot of money doing this. It will be a small group in an extraordinary location for a reasonable amount of money.

I'm a bit surprised and saddened about all the negativity here in this forum so far... if you're not interested, that's fine, but I'm doing this because I love doing it and now I have the opportunity...

22. dasBlute

dasBlute Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pedanticism kills creativity. This sounds like *exactly* the type of thing that belongs here.

The LF guys once claimed that 6x17 "wasn't large-format enough"... stuff like that,
    it's just spitting into the wind, no good can come of it, and at best you'll drive away
    kindred souls...

-Tim

23. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tim,

Beautiful images in your book, by the way! :heart:

24. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am sorry for my negativity and I do hope some really fun people join this trip of yours.

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Well, yes I agree, but that the way many on APUG feel, at least as far as discussions on scanning and printing with an ink jet go, they are not slowed here, they tend to ignore when you post scanned negatives etc these days thankfully. APUG is a strange place, but they promote full analog, understand this is the ONLY place on the net that is full analog, every other place has hybrid discussion, so they try to keep it pure photography and no photoshop, it makes sense if you understand the broader picture, it took me forever to accept it. You can go anywhere to discuss ink jet printing or PS tools, but you can only come here to learn about dodging and burning and such from masters of the craft who only use traditional tools. So it's a nice small pocket of folks who are skilled at what they enjoy most about photography, and that's why I and others come here. It's not so bad even if people like me say dumb things...

26. iogdka

iogdka Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Stone,

I appreciate the conversation. Thanks!

I have an enlarger, and I use it occasionally, but I think that even most film photographers today won't have access to an enlarger without a huge commitment from the start. Hybrid approaches open new opportunities for people to get into film/analog photography without a big investment in a darkroom and an enlarger. Perhaps some of those people with move on to darkroom printing. Others may do contact printing with digital negatives; while others may just scan and print with modern technology. For me, the big difference is still how the various films and older "imperfect" lenses give a character to the image that is still hard to achieve with a modern digital camera and software (though people do try with some success). That's what the workshop is about. I don't personally find as much satisfaction or difference printing with an enlarger. My inkjet prints are almost indistinguishable to my darkroom prints. If I want something that doesn't look perfect, then it's VanDyke, Platinum or another alternative process.

But it IS nice to know that APUG (and the Large Format Photography Forum) is a refuge for the very traditional methods, that's why I joined. I don't know if I've ever visited DPUG...