Review and unboxing of the FPP Debonair

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by djgeorgie, Mar 11, 2013.

1. djgeorgie

djgeorgie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV9SulLipWA

It's my first holga-type camera. What's good about these cameras is the simplicity. Make sure you got enough light, set focus, point and shoot. Sometimes featureless can itself be a nice feature.

2. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    super cool. Thanks for posting.

I rather like the Debonair. It seems to me it's basically a Holga but priced in the way a Holga **should** be priced.

3. djgeorgie

djgeorgie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That is absolutely right. The holga should be $20

4. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I got my Holga it was $20. It wasn't the "in" thing at the time, and a friend suggested it would be a way to try medium format before I decided to spend a lot of money on a 35mm system.

5. I've also really taken a liking to my Debonair. All the toy joy of the Holga, but priced more reasonable than what Holgas fetch today. The construction of the film door is also much improved and more secure than the little metal clips always threatening to pop off the Holga.

6. djgeorgie

djgeorgie Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

I knew the holga had its problems, but I never thought it was that badly constructed.

I'm still shocked people are willing to shell out $80 for a holga kit

7. The overall construction isn't terrible in the 120N. The biggest issue remains the flimsy metal clips that hold the back on the camera. I learned the hard way when my wife slipped my camera into her purse while we were out and about... Nothing a little electrical tape can't fix. The Debonair has a small plastic lever on the bottom, which seems to be more resistant to accidents.

And $80 for a basic Holga is insane. I bought mine a few years ago on th'Bay for US $23, including shipping, direct from Hong Kong. You can still find the 120N for about $29 on Amazon and other places.