Rhodium and KI treating Film and Paper

Discussion in 'Silver Gelatin Based Emulsion Making & Coating' started by Mustafa Umut Sarac, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Can I treat 35mm , 120 or sheet Film and Paper Emulsion with Potassium Iodide or Rhodium Salts before exposing ? I am after Brovira look.

Umut

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, unfortuntely, you cannot.

And, even if you could, this would not give you a "Brovira" look.

IT was achieved by other means. I believe that the formulas were posted here by someone and they were taken from Glafkides book, but unfortunately Glafkides has made some transcription errors and some omissions and thus the data is incorrect.

PE

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That Brovira look was almost unique to the Agfa Paper the closest I've seen from another manufacturer was 1970's Kentmere Bromde.

However it' should be possible to get close with a good combination of a current paper and developer, I'm not a Bromide paper user (I only use warm toned chloro-bromide papers these days) but you'd need to us quite a contrast developer like ID-14.

Subtle post toning of a FB print can work as well but there's so many variables and you need to get to know how a particular paper behaves.

Ian