Rich from Bellingham, WA USA

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Rich Ullsmith, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Been here a coupla months without saying hello. I didn't mean to be rude! This is really a fantastic site, and thanks to everybody up front for helping me with my craft.

So, I dabbled with this stuff in high school and college, put it away for about twenty years, now here I am.

I shoot Contax rangefinder, old Rolleicord, old Hasselblad, EOS3, cheapy Polaroid, various P&S's, and a bunch of homemade 4X5 pinholes, and some other things laying around. I didn't have any of this stuff five years ago, then we moved into a house that already had a darkroom, and I said, hmm.

Things really got weird when I discovered lith, and everything that comes with that. Being naturally suited to sleep deprivation, it was a perfect match.
    Now the entire basement looks like a bomb laboratory.

The real thrill for me is taking papers and chemicals that folks are throwing in the garbage and turning them into images. At this stage in life I can afford whatever I want, but all I want is other people's garbage! (Say, that paint can looks like a camera . . .)

Someday soon I'm going to bribe the kid next door to show me how to make pictures appear on this t.v. thing with the typewriter hooked up to it, so maybe I can share a little. Just not there yet.

Anyways, this is a great site, and I'm glad to have found it. P.S. Anybody comes near Bellingham, I would love to meet and show ya around. I feel sometimes like I'm way up river, doin' my own thing.

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Rich from the other coast. Paint can pinholes! :D I have a friend here who is planning to make a pinhole out of an old 35mm movie reel canister!
    I can't wait to see what images you plan on posting when you figure out this new-fangled technology.

gene

3. Doyle Thomas

Doyle Thomas Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    New subscribers are always wecome Rich. You will find the PNW well represented here.

Doyle

4. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Rich, Just a little downstream from you but on the "Right " Coast. Sorry Gene, should have been the left Coast.

Not doing any Pinhole just yet but everything in between 35mm an 8x10

jan

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Rich, from just up the highway (and into a "foreign" country) from you.

My wife and I travel to and through Bellingham regularly - we should talk :smile:

Matt

6. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As above...

7. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Say, JLP, I lived four years on Pill Hill and am still here to tell the tale. I know a little bit about where your at. I got married up on Bachelor.

Matt, yes we should. Gimme a heads up if you are coming through, like a week, because I generally only get on a computer at work, so I don't see things daily. We can go get some beer and oysters and talk photography, or shrimps and beer, or maybe salmon and beer. And talk photography. that would be great.

8. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Rich, welcome from Hawaii.