Richeson brushes in Europe

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by andreios, Apr 23, 2013.

1. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a quick question - after reading much praise about Richeson "magic" brushes I decided to try one. Does anyone know of a seller that might carry the brushes in Europe?
    I looked at Jerry's Artarama but for one 2inch brush (which I think should be enough for 5x7 prints) the shipping costs are higher than the price of the brush itself..

Thanks a lot for any advice.

2. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I don't think there's a European reseller of the Richeson brushes (sadly). The da Vinci series 5073 synthetic mottler is a very good alternative. It is slightly stiffer but the bristles are just as soft and make a lovely smooth finish. They are also _much_ more rust resistant than the Richeson brush. These are widely available in the UK and I assume across Europe because they are German.

Here's the da Vinci website: http://www.davinci-defet.com/englis...also-available-in-the-sizes-60-and-80-mm.html

3. Philippe Grunchec

Philippe Grunchec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The series 5080 are even softer, it is a matter of taste.

4. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Good to know, thanks. I've not tried one of these. I like the slightly stiffer bristles because it helps to get the sensitiser into the paper texture, but I'll give one of these a go when I find one.

5. Philippe Grunchec

Philippe Grunchec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which paper(s) do you use? Arches Platine, Bergger COT-320 ?

6. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Herschel (and Buxton) from Ruscombe Mill. Neither of those two work properly with platinum.

7. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for answers, Ian and Philippe - that's good news for me. If the da Vinci 5073 is in any way comparable to the Richeson magic then there is no need for me to search further - the 5073 is what I am using now - I need another brush so I thought I might take something supposedly better. Now I can stick to the same - or maybe try the 5080, might work better for non-textured papers like Cot320 (or Arches Aquarelle Satin of which I bought two sheets last week to try out..

8. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have started using DaVinci 5080 brushes (30mm and 50mm), it has been almost a month I think. It was tricky at first to learn uniform coating with optimum amount of sensitizer. I cannot complain about its softness, I never had the chance to compare it to the other brushes mentioned.
    I use davinci brushes with various papers some roughly textured and some with smooth surface. I do not plan to try any other brush, I cannot imagine how things would get any better.

9. jakobb

jakobb Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used the Richeson 9010 and the DaVinci 5080 and both work equally good for me on several papers except the 5080 wastes a little less sensitizer