Ricoh 300 shutter problems

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by bluedog, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I dug out my trusty old Ricoh 300 after 30+ years of retirement thinking it would be fun to run a film or two through it. However, the shutter isn't working when I press the release button. It appears to wind on OK. Is it worth getting fixed?

2. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If it didn't break and stop working before you "retired" it, then it is probably just in need of a professional cleaning. Leaf-shutter cameras are quite likely to cease working when their shutter mechanisms sit for years, as the lubrication drys out and becomes sticky thus making the parts not rotate. You can possibly do the cleaning yourself, as it won't require a complete take-apart of the camera.

3. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm afraid I can't remember that far back as to the reason I retired it and moved onto OM's. Can anyone assist with how to do a clean of the leaf shutter? and how much dis-assembly is required. Any advice greatly appreciated.

4. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Depends on the camera's construction. I cleaned the shutter of a Ricoh 500, has been working well. I think three screws had to be removed to take the name ring off, and the front element removed using a rubber cork. Ronsonol (lighter Fluid) did the trick, a couple of applications were required. I checked it last night, and it was working well. I cleaned it about a year ago.

With any old leaflet shutter camera, you might try exercising the shutter at various speeds, starting out on the high-end. Sometimes they work back to life. Otherwise, pop the front and try the Ronsonol trick. Or send it in for a CLA to Essex camera or other shop.

5. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Can you give me some more details on how to get the front lens element off? And, what is a rubber cork?
    Thanks
    Greg

6. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rubber cork == rubber bung

7. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I looked at a picture of the 300 on Ebay, the lens looks a lot like my 500. The chrome filter ring on mine is held in by three set screws. Back those off, and the filter ring comes off. I use a rubber gromet, a hollow-rubber cork, to remove the front lens assembly. You could make something out of soft rubber, such as a mouse-pad.The shutter blades are then accessible.

8. bluedog

bluedog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried taking out the 3 screws around the lens barrel but nothing wanted to move. How much is needed to disassemble the front on the lens? Maybe I've got the wrong screws???

9. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've never disassembled the 300, only my Ricoh 500. It's hard to say what changed between models.