Ricoh GR1

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by narsuitus, Nov 23, 2005.

1. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone used or is anyone familiar with the Ricoh GR1 35mm film camera?

The reason I ask is because based on its specifications, it seems to be good compact and lightweight camera for travel and scenic shots.

2. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have never owned one but tried a few times in the past when it still was available from its manufacture. It's been said the optical quality was as good as a SLR lens, but I thought the distortion as a 28mm lens was a bit too much. It's just my personal taste, though.

If you're interested in it, go try it to see if you like it or not. It's certainly better than any compact digital P&S.

3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I owned one for a couple of years. Excellent build and lens quality, but the wind on is way too loud, and attracts attention. Listen to one before you buy.

4. pauldc

pauldc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the GR1v and use it all the time as my standard pocket camera. I use it loaded with Neopan 400 rated at EI250. The lens is great and it takes lovely pictures. You can set the EI and it has exposure compensation. I thoroughly recommend it. Plus it takes 30.5mm filters - I use an orange filter with it alot.