Ries Tripod Head On A Gitzo Tripod

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by jeffzeitlin, Apr 30, 2009.

1. jeffzeitlin

jeffzeitlin Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have recently entered the world of ULF with the purchase of an 11x14 camera. My tripod is a 1325 Gitzo with a Graf large Studio Ball head. It has served me very well for my 8x10 Deardorff. I am seriously thinking about trying to put a Ries tripod head onto my Gitzo base. Has any done this and will to share their experience?

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I tried to see online what the diameter is of the top plate. The Ries heads require a 4 inch for the J series and a 6 inch for the A series. If the plate on yours is smaller than that, like the Bogen at just under 2 inches, I would not use their head.

3. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

What 11x14 camera do you have and what does it weight? This will have a tremendous effect on any recommendations and combinations that can be used.

My Wisner 11x14 is a tech field and needs the Ries A250 and the heavy A100 legs. It has a 6" round head and the camera sits proudly and safely on these legs. My Deardorff V11 is similarly positioned.

You want to make sure that you use the correct tool for the job.

Cheers!

4. John Jarosz

John Jarosz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I just finished a project where I put a Majestic head on an old Gitzo 4-section tripod (short sections - I don't know the model, label was removed). I like the geared head, much easier to adjust. I also modified the pan motion to have the same king of worm gear adjustment, but that's another story. The 8x20 was hard to adjust with the friction clamps and hand adjustment on the Bogen head.

John

5. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jeff acquired an ROC King camera with weight around 13 lbs. Total weight of system including lens & holder around 18 lbs.

6. jeffzeitlin

jeffzeitlin Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Doug for getting to the question. Any help from the forum is appreciated -

7. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    MUCH prefer a ries head vs. a ball head for both my 7x17 and 8 x 10...and it's on a gitzo.

8. jeffzeitlin

jeffzeitlin Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Scott - how did you mount it - does the panning work -which Ries head do you use?

9. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

A Ries head does not pan on a Gitzo tripod head simply because the manner in which it pans in a Ries tripod is to loosen the screw that holds the tripod head on the tripod with a bolt under the tripod head base. The Gitzo tripod bolt is static and as a result, when you put a Ries head on a Gitzo tripod I believe that you sacrifice the ability to pan.

I use a Bogen 3039 three way head for my 8x20 Canham that weights a bit more than your 11x14 and it works great. For and aft leveling bubbles and a quick release plate system that holds great. Having three arms to control fore, aft and pan directions is very nice and they lock down solid and secure. This is what I would recommend if you cannot find a way to pan with a Ries head.

10. jeffzeitlin

jeffzeitlin Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am thinking about a custom made base plate that would allow the Reis head to pan. I am thinking of the J200 which is the smaller version with a 4" base. The weight of the camera with the normal lens will be under 16 lbs with my telephoto Tessar under 18 lbs. It would be a clean and light weight setup.

11. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

With the Ries j200 you are giving up the side tilt adjustment at the head and will be required to use the legs to make a lateral adjustment should you need it. The costs of the Bogen 3039 (now called the Super 297) with a quick release plate is identical to the Ries J200. I have the double tilt version of the Ries that really comes in handy. As hard as I try to get the tripod and head level, there are those shots that beg for a side adjustment when the camera is all set up such as a strong architectural element.

If making a customer plate to have this system work for you is in your comfort zone, then by all means go for it.

Cheers!

Cheers!

12. TracyStorer

TracyStorer Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Custom plate...

I have thought of this but not done it yet, the custom plate required would be simple to make for any machinist, and would probably take about 1.5 hours.
    The diameter and thickness of the piece you start with will affect the price, aluminum is around $5 per pound for small quantities at bulk suppliers.
    You will also need a custom mounting screw to reach up through your custom plate.

This is all assuming that your Gitzo has the "split-collar" style clamp at the top of the legs that grips either the flat base, or rapid column...you would use that clamp to grip the reduced diameter on the bottom of your custom plate.

You may or may not be able to modify the stock Gitzo flat plate, which will be a quicker, cheaper job if practical. They don't tend to be perfectly flat on top, so, maybe not.

SKGrimes can do it, I can do it, your friendly neighborhood machine shop can do it as long as you can tell them exactly what you want.

13. jeffzeitlin

jeffzeitlin Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Just to let everyone know - I putting a FEISOL Panning Base PB-90 and a Reis J250 onto the Gitzo 1325 - It will be a light and stable tripod.

14. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Jeff, I use a manfrotto 438 in between the tripod and the head... to work around the 'pan' issues...doesn't work in the purest sense of panning, but allows me to rotate completely...It's like a ball head (kind of, but its more like a flat egg on its side) between the ries head and the tripod mount...make sense? Here is a link to the product. Works great btw...

http://www.samys.com/product_detail.php?item=622