Robert Capa's Lost Spanish Civil War negs

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by David A. Goldfarb, Jan 26, 2008.

1. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  2. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fascinating story. His filing methods were a little better than mine at one time.

3. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's interesting that the "Falling Soldier" might have been made by another photog when a thread on remembering every exposure has recently appeared on APUG. One thing is certain I feel. You couldn't forget making that shot so there's no question of Capa being mistaken. He either made it or he knew he had lied. Perhaps with the best of motives/intentions. We'll never know. After all Jimmy Stewart didn't actually shoot Liberty Valance, did he?

A little bit of whimsy does you good

pentaxuser

4. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Amazing how the Eastman House preservationists commented on the fine condition of the negatives. One can only wonder what 70 years will do to digi media.

What I don't understand is why anyone would fixate of a throw away line about the "remote possibility" of the provenance of Falling Soldier.

What a churlish way to react to a fascinating discovery.

5. ernie51

ernie51 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Who gets the movie rights?

6. Paul.A

Paul.A Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Capa and the "falling soldier"

There has been so much speculation regarding this picture, its as if it has a achieved a mythological status that a lot of people want to destroy. I remember reading a piece on how a journalist had identified the soldier and found that he did indeed die on that day and that other relatives had been there to witness it. For the life of me I can't remember who wrote the piece or where it appeared.

For anyone who's interested Digital journalist did a great article on Capa and Taro recently. Here's the link

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0710/capa_taro_intro.html